1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African Caracal question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by sarahdj, Nov 6, 2017.

1. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Is there a reasonably close substitutable form for an average sized caracal? Does a North American Lynx come anywhere close? Bobcats appear to me to be too short legged and not lanky enough. Has anyone tried to sub a form when you don't have a carcass to cast? Or just settle for what's on the market for caracals?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

some of the forms on the market are not to bad. I however have never found one that would fit. every one I have ever mounted I have had to cut the form into 50 pieces and put back together for a perfect fit. you are better off using a caracal form and altering it. with these animals its just part of the game of mounting one. if you charge accordingly its really not a problem to come out with a nice mount

3. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

It's my personal critter so charging isn't an issue
    I will probably just go with altering a caracal form for pose. I've seen what Research and McKenzie have to offer, do you know of any non-affiliated supplier that I might not be aware of that might have something more?

4. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Thank you so much for the reply and your time!! Have a blessed day!

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

use a McKenzie or Jonas form. the research one is not as good a quality