1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old mount cleaning problem - tanning oil in fur.....

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Schrecken, Nov 7, 2017.

1. I got a Canada lynx mount in a trade a while back, and now I want to try and sell it. So I bought a mount cleaner because it was old and dusty + around some of the seams there's a huge amount of oil that's matted in the fur. Apparently the taxidermist did not properly (or at all) tumble the hide to get rid of tanning oil (I hope it's tanning oil...) and the oil bled thru at the seams. The mount cleaner did remove some grime from the fur (and worked fetchingly well when I tried it on an old gemsbok mount) but didn't touch the oil (probably because it is just water-based).

What I am dealing with isn't just fur that's a little oily (if that was the case I'd work cornstarch into it and brush it out) but it looks and feels like thick, sticky, yellow, stuck on grease you would find in a kitchen that hadn't been cleaned in ages. It is globbed, stuck and matted into the fur. I wiped some acetone on it but it didn't seem to touch it. Any idea how (or if) I can get the oil out of the fur on this mount?

2. JuJu Bee

JuJu Bee New Member

Odorless Mineral Spirits mixed with sawdust or if no sawdust use on a rag.