1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Mount problem

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rcrtbl, Nov 8, 2017.

1. rcrtbl

rcrtbl New Member

I do not speak English well so please be patient with me. I have a serious problem every time I do a bird mount. Even when I wash the feathers and dry them with cold air they do not look spongy and natural, they look dirty and stick toghther. I have read that it is not good to wash the feathers of birds that are not aquatic, is that true? I do not know if there is any way to solve this problem also in birds that I have already mounted, perhaps cleaning them with some solvent or washing them with water and soap even if they are already finished? I also have other questions: how do you prevent the small feathers on the head from falling off? How do you achieve a natural posture of the wings? I have practiced with small birds and none has been a good result.

2. aweiss44

aweiss44 New Member

You are removing all the fat and flesh from the skins correct?
    If yes, after doing that, what are you washing them with and how many times?
    After washing and drying with a towel, how long are you spendings drying them, and what are you using?

That info will get you better responses

3. Ted

Ted Member

I wash everything bt a dove or owl. Use Dawn soap. Clean off all of the fat.