1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First pheasant, critiques wanted

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by aweiss44, Nov 10, 2017.

1. aweiss44

aweiss44 New Member

First time doing a pheasant, so I'm wondering what I hit, or rather all that I missed. Fwiw, the feathers on the rump just need to be groomed back into position, they shifted when moving the mount.

Attached Files:

2. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

Where's that pheasant from?

3. aweiss44

aweiss44 New Member

a farm that raises mallards and pheasants and does tower/walkup shoots. THis one was in my freezer for a few years and was shot up pretty good.

4. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

Tail attachment seems too far back. Elbows need to come in towards body, neck skin needs to be taxied up towards the head. feathers look either dirty or not dry.
    Fix up your anatomy errors and it will all come together.
    Just a few things i see other than that good start.
    By the way i love the coloration of that bird.

5. aweiss44

aweiss44 New Member

Thank you very much. I believe these are some form of cross breed that they raise.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Your bird body is too large for the bird. If you shorten that form up, you'll see your feather placement come into line. Close the gap between the wing and the body moving the elbows as mentioned. A flying ringneck will have the wing feathers nearest the body almost touching the fanned tail. Then turn the head clockwise in that pose. You want to see the pheasant head profile and not just the top of it's head. Shorten the neck a bit and that will allow the neck band to show better (though a pen raised bird is noting like wild birds). There seems a be a "sag" at the head neck junction. Work on your eyes. That bird is extremely bug-eyed. Use those eyelids. If you're using the real head, I like using the flex eye forms. I Dremel out the back side and insert glass eyes but use those eye-rings to give you some calmness in the appearance of the bird.

7. Ted

Ted Member

Cut a deep notch that the tail base goes into. The angle between the body and the 1rst bone of the wing is 45 degrees.

8. aweiss44

aweiss44 New Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

9. mr useless

mr useless Member

Spain
    does that bone angle apply to all spècies of birds in flight? you mean 45 degrees between humerus and spine line, ist it?

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

x2

before you skin out your next bird, exercise the wing bones and you will see how some posed wing positions aren't possible on how some birds are mounted . . .

also you will get a better appreciation for the flight web . . . .

If you heed the comments in this thread you will make great strides very quickly.
    Good luck.

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the neck is to long