1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

TICKS!!!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Nov 11, 2017.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Every year this time several of us old farts attempt to teach and tell you younger guys how to prevent this problem. And each and every year, some Nimrod comes on here trying to tell us there are better ways and "safer" ways of doing it. But what the hell, I'll post it again for some of you who're open to ideas that actually work CONSISTENTLY.

Things you'll need:
    A poly tarp to lay outside your shop
    A gallon of PERMETHRIN SPRAY (Stable spray) from the Tractor Supply Store
    A sign that says, "PLACE ALL DEER HERE" to put behind the tarp

When you get your stable spray, spray the tarp face HEAVILY with permethrin.

When your client follows directions, take care of checking the animal in. Go out and spray another HEAVY COAT of permethrin on the hide and do not touch it for 30 minutes.

When that time is elapsed, go out and retrieve the hide and cape the animal out. Any ticks that have managed to live through both treatments will NOT have biting you in mind. The spray KILLS ON CONTACT ticks, fleas, keds, lice and scabies. DEAD! The spray is not harmful to you or to dogs. Cats and tropical fish ARE effected so if either of those two are a concern, insure you use it in a protected area.
    There is NOTHING ELSE CLOSE AS EFFECTIVE AS PERMETHRIN. PERIOD.

2. Spot on George,keep it simple.

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

If it has fleas I bag it and bomb it or just put it in the freezer. The buck I shot last year was loaded with engorged ticks on its brisket. Right in the freezer. I got a cape from Texas one year that had so many ticks I almost puked. Felt like I needed a shower right then.

4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I have a better way......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Thanks George, your insight and willingness to share your years of experience have been so valuable to me and others over the years!!

So far this year we haven't had a tick problem as in years past. but will do this and keep them out of the shop and me!

5. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I use it on my hunting clothes. I've trucked thru some of the nastiest tick infested deer habitat we have and not seen 1 tick on me. Knock on wood..

I think it remains effective 40 or 45 days in that situation.

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I use it on my hunting clothes. I've trucked thru some of the nastiest tick infested deer habitat we have and not seen 1 tick on me.

Supposed to get rid of your Lice too. Might want to try that.

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

A guy gave me a coyote last year. I was getting ready to skin it and saw tiny white spots on the fur. Upon closer examination it was nits!! That thing was loaded with lice. It immediately into a garbage bag and out the door. Where it was lying got a dose of lacquer thinner. I don’t tolerate any of those little suckers at all.

8. George's method is my S.O.P. I've use it the last 3 years and absolutely no ticks! And, you can go ahead and cape it after the 30 minutes. Even if I can't cape it right away, It still gets the treatment and then into the freezer. It's inexpensive and very effective.

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I posted this 11 years ago and still use it today.If you don't use this or my method you're playing with Lyme disease...and others. Good luck JL

10. I use Permethrin as well and as George states, nothing comes near its effect on those buggers

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Are certain species of these blood sucking turds more likely to carry Lymes? My sheep I just shot had some in its ears that I’ve never seen before. Pretty small and dug in.

12. It depends on who you believe. The medical world, CDC, AMA and such say its only the black legged tick, aka deer tick. Last I read they think its only the nymphs that carry and transmit it.

People in the lyme world have a different opinion. All black legged ticks. Not just the nymphs. Mosquitos also can transmit lyme. It is a STD. The bulls eye doesn't have to happen to get lyme disease.

13. George

So true. I've contracted the disease 6 different times now (I wonder if it's just recurrence of the first but each case happened after a known tick bite or imbedded tick). I have only had ONE bull's-eye.

14. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I was looking up the different species of ticks. Then there was pictures of animals covered with them. I had to quit. I hate those things. I’m like a frikin money if I pet a dog and find one engoured in it. Except monkeys eat them. I was at someone’s house to do some work years ago and was petting their dog when I hit one. I spent the next 15 minutes pulling ticks off their dog and crushing them.

15. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Merry Christmas! I see that the "tick topic" has come up again. When I started doing taxidermy, I was on this site all of the time. I disappears from taxidermy, deer hunting, and life in general due to lymes. I started fishing and kept out of the woods.
    I twitch, my ears ring constantly, heart skips, and episodes of bad joint pain are my life. I've mounted a few deer for friends lately and have considered getting back into hunting and taxidermy. Ticks and mosquitos are no joke. I never wear gloves when skinning deer. I never wore permethrin. IF I get back into doing taxidermy I plan to be very careful. I encourage all of You to do the same
    George, You know your stuff. some years back you mentioned the powaasin virus. Just last year a South Carolina politician named Kay Hagan got that virus from a tick. She's not well.
    George, I only had the bulls-eye once also. It took a few years before my symptoms got to the level of being really noticeable. I'm told I'll never beat it and will for sure die from something related to lymes. Because I have learned over the years to listen when You speak I have to wonder if You figured out how to beat it. I've tried it all and then some and have made progress in treating it. Antibiotics are the worst thing in my opinion and chewing raw ginger kills arthritis pain in the knee as if it were a miracle drug!
    If I get back out there I will be protected. Eating certain herbs including rosemary and or garlic before hunts is said to reduce tick/mosquito bites.
    The deer here in N.C. Look sick. Each year I notice the hip bones showing more. I never see fawns anymore either. Natures cycle may hold a bad near future for deer in my area!

Check out vita rack 26. They claim that it will significantly reduce ticks on deer. Interesting article!
    Keep safe and hope everyone has a great year!
    Did

16. George

I don't know if I "beat it" as any of us who've had it don't. I still have joint aches and a multitude of other issues doctor's pass off as old age and obesity (DAMN, I remember when what I am now was just "over weight", now I'm OBESE. Geez) I do know that in each incident, I found the tick and got a check up and blood work immediately. I was told that I've discovered it when it was treatable. Now, my family doctor performs the Lyme check each year as part of the annual physical. A few years back, he really concerned me when he discovered that I'd also had West Nile virus. I'm assuming it was when I was so sick they admitted me and diagnosed me with a bowel obstruction as well. Anyway, the current blood tests have been free of new symptoms.

17. DL

DL Well-Known Member

What the heck!! You are a lightening Rod for crazy medical issues. Either that or your Dr needs make payments on a new beach house. Hope you get invited for a weekend visit.

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have had it 3 times. I had been bit by hundreds of ticks in my life from a little kid through adulthood with no effects at all. The first time I saw a black legged tick, in my forties, I got Lyme disease from it and didn't start treatment for almost two years when the doctor finally asked have you been somewhere where you might of got a bug bite? I told her about the tick and bullseye rash and she said get a blood test today! You have Lyme disease! Sure enough, blood test came back conclusive. I still suffer from the first one and the subsequent times I got it didn't help. Since then I have tested positive, negative and inconclusive depending on which year i'm tested.
    I have the belief that it never fully goes away.