1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Workroom heater?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

My shop is a small 2 room building across the driveway from my house. There is a door that I keep closed that separates the workroom from the showroom. The workroom is only 10' x 20' and is insulated. I have been heating the workroom with a floor model Warm Morning propane heater for many years. However, I am going on my 3rd one and they do take up substantial space. The current heater leaks and needs to be replaced. Temporarily, I'm using an Edenpure electric heater right now. Though it works very well, I anticipate a huge jump in my monthly electric bill. Any suggestions for what would be an adequate and economical heat source for my workroom? A friend suggested one of those round, floor model kerosene heaters, and another suggested a vent-free wall mounted propane heater. Pros or cons regarding those two? Thanks for any input

2. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

I have a Rinnai propane wall mount for both shops. I love em. Just set the thermostat to the desired temp and forget it,
    I havent had a problem with either one in 12 years.

3. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Yeah, the rinnais are great, I have a kerosene fueled monitor heater that is awesome.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use baseboard electric and like it, pretty much 0 chance of igniting fumes. If I built a new shop I would use in floor with a boiler in a separate room.

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Modine natural gas fired ceiling unit. Can get them for propane also.Thermostat controlled...set it and close the door. This one is twenty years old. You need a power vent to use these units and they work great, especially here where the temps drop several degrees below zero for several days.

6. I just had a hot dawg ceiling mounted gas furnace installed and I really like it. I already had a old house furnace in my shop for heat so we were able to use the existing exhaust set up. It has a wall mounted thermostat and seems to be pretty energy efficient. The cost of the furnace plus installation was around $1,400.00

7. aweiss44

aweiss44 New Member

I work in the propane business, and actually just had a training class with Rinnai last week. I can tell you they do make great heaters.

you'll have two option, vented or vent free- meaning what they say, one you don't have to run an exhaust pipe outside and one you do. Both work very well, and for the size room you need the units would be fairly small as well.

From my experience I can say that I can count on one hand the number of service calls I have had to do on Rinnai heaters in almost 10 years of work. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.