1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Quick euro turn around?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Grizz208, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Grizz208

Grizz208 New Member

Am i missing something when it comes to doing euro mounts. I see other places turning them around in less than a week or two amd stay super white for a long timw. How do people degrease them so fast? I know deer arnt that greasy but the skulls I do still end up having some yellow spots. Is there a fast way to degrease skulls that i havnt heard about?

2. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Yup it's called paint? You get what you pay for.

DP

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I have a guy in my town that has a one day turn around, He does 400 + skulls a year . His are some of the best and whitest

4. Grizz208

Grizz208 New Member

How do they do them so fast? Cause doesn't the degreasing process take a while?

5. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I degrease mine in hot water and dawn dish detergent, then soak overnite in peroxide

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I guess it matters what you call a "long time". A year? 3 years? Ten,fifteen or more? You can simmer in a detergent and it might work with some but it will not work with all. You also stand a good chance of making a brittle skull. How old is the oldest skull that he can show you? He might not actually have any good reference ones. But, if he has airbrushed them with paint ... yes, I guess you can say it's fast, but is it really good? Peroxide will whiten quite nicely but if there is any grease left in it, it eventually comes to the surface. It will even bubble and blister a paint layer. I just prefer to take a longer time and turn out something that is worthy of a museum piece. 100% bone and nothing hiding. Some folks are going to hang it in the garage and not really care. It all depends on whether your customer is 100% happy now and will still be proud of it 10 years from now. It might also be true that deer from different regional areas have different amounts of grease in general. I have had more than one person tell me that Northern deer have a lot of fat throughout them and southern deer are trimmer and less fatty. This might also reflect on their skulls. Done the right way, you can simmer a deer skull clean and maybe get most of the grease out. The chance of damaging it though just makes me steer clear of the process. Too many times I've either heard or gotten the panic call about a customers ruined skull and can a replacement be found .. fast.

7. Three under

Three under New Member

The question I get asked the most by potential customers is; "what is your turn around time ?" My answer is four weeks to four months for whitetails. Starting out last year, I thought I had some fully degreased after two weeks only to have grease leech through after sitting in the sun for a week. I do my best to explain my process and I think my customers appreciate the fact that I want their trophy to look good for years after leaving my shop.

8. Trophy Skulls- Bemidji

Trophy Skulls- Bemidji New Member

I macerate and then degrease with really, hot but not quiete simmering water with ammonia and dawn. Then whiten for 24 hours roughly. My oldest skull is 10 years old and still looks really good with no grease. I use Michel Ps method of the air compressor as well for added help.

I can turn deer around in 10-14 days taking my time, depends on how long the maceration takes.

9. ToTheBone

ToTheBone New Member

Im new to this. What is Michael Ps air compressor method?

10. gill1

gill1 Member

ny
    Go to tutorials in Skull section you will see 5 hour European method. I also do Maceration and turnaround can be around 3 weeks, but typically 6 weeks.

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Up above on this page, on the left is a link to Advanced Search. Click on that and learn to use it. There are YEARS of free research material on here and many posts by professionals that took the time to put the information on here to be accessed. You can select which forums you want to search. Skulls and Skeletons is a good one to start in. There is another for Tutorials, or you can search them all. Be creative in your search terms. Skull cleaning, skull maceration, skull beetles, dermestids etc. European Mount Tutorial will find you Michaels post. Search titles.

ToTheBone likes this.