1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Are euros considered "taxidermy?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by fish stuffer, Nov 14, 2017.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Member

I know this has been discussed before. No skin involved to be "mounted" . By definition, IMO it isn't taxidermy. "Adjustment of the skin." I just wondered what a game warden would say. I have a call in, trying to find out. Maybe tom. I'll hear from him.

I don't like doing the euros, but I do them as a service to my customers. It's a draw, to get them to my shop. What I want to know is, do they need a taxidermy state lic. to do them for others? Even the coolers are doing them. 80 bucks, no wood. One guy posted sho mts 200 and 75 dollar euros.

I first came to tnet 10 years ago, all I heard is raise prices on here. All I'm seeing on social med is lowballers in my area. Everyones dry preserving, no glue. Hunters don't care. I try to educate them alittle. They're not interested in 3rd eyelid, nostril interior , rotated eyes, they look at me like I'm crazy. So and so is 50 cheaper.

People are teaching taxi with no lic also. Do you need special lic. to run a school? Insurance? I would think so.

How do you get alot of deer to mount. Answer, get hooked up with a processor and they will send you heads. You can drypreserve and put horns on backwards and hunters don't care. Quick turnaround and cheape prices. Some dont even want fast timeframe. They use the taxidermist as a storage facility.

Somethings got to be done. Even the schools advertise, take this corse and in 3 weeks you can start your own bussiness. Messing up mounts left and right. I'm done ranting now. I'm actually having a good year. I just don't like being told I can't mount anything for anyone other than myself without the state lic. BUT, others can boill sculls out and nothing is said. When you get a lic you have to post it where it can be seen and they can inspect records anytime. But not the ones doing sculls. I wondered if anyone knew the answer . Do you need taxi. lic. to boil sculls in Ga.?

2. If your state requires a license for taxidermy then you need the license for doing euros.

3. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Member

Thanks John.

4. You could ask your fish & game department, they should know.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

a tire repair is still a simple form of auto repair.

6. From what I understand in the state of Tennessee you do and it's $122.00 a year and there's a lot around my area doing euros that don't have a license and advertising too. . . It's kind of like the roofing business after a bad hail storm. Everybody's a roofer for a few weeks.

7. Have you been on Facebook and seen all the guys saying they boil and bleach or just paint the skulls? And the hunters are happy with that garbage. Most are happy with mediocre to poor taxidermy work too, and those guys stay in business and then think they're doing it right just because they stay in business. Educating people on quality work is the key, but I don't know how to reach these people.

8. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Member

That's what I'm trying to do right now. Educate people. I'm thinking of throwing in the towel myself after wasting 47 years on this crap. But these hacks get on my nerves and I want to educate the people. BUT, people are dumb as chit. Who does the best, Oh so and so, he done mine and you look at it looks like rabbit with horns. They vote for him because hes their friend. Now we do have one that has messed up so many he's catchin hell. LOL

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

One difference, someone that only knows how to repair tires doesn't consider them self an auto mechanic.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thanks Cole. You beat me to it. There are LOTS of ancillary jobs that we do that have virtually no bearing on taxidermy. We're talking about articulation and skulls. They had no place to be grouped and simply tagged on for the experience. The same holds true with tanning. Thankfully the industry is tied to tanning and many tanneries wouldn't think of doing taxidermy. Yet since we ventured that way, we assumed that role (a role, incidentally which allowed insurance companies to exclude us from coverage because of "all the dangerous chemicals involved".

11. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

In Arizona .....

In Arizona the taxidermy license costs $150. A state taxidermy license is required if you have a specimen come into your shop. So .... if you are doing European skull mounts then you would need a license in Arizona.

If someone in Arizona would be doing nothing but fish reproductions using fish blanks then no license required as no specimen was received. If one were to mold and cast a fish in their shop to make that reproduction then a license would be required.

Check with your state. They may require a taxidermy license if a specimen comes into your shop .... to be mounted .... to be reproduced ... or make into a European skull mount.

:)

Kerby...

12. JerseyJays

JerseyJays New Member

Re: Are euros considered "taxidermy?

NJ has no license needed for taxidermy at all so idk.
    I'm shocked NJ doesn't want their slice of the pie- soon enough I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

California doesn’t either Jay and that baffles me. This money grubbing state wants money for breathing. I wouldn’t be shocked if in the future we have to pay hundreds plus have to have a prostate exam. I hear the former mayor of San Francisco will be running for Governor.

14. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

Taxidermy is not "arrangement of the skin" It is a term used early on by museum curators meant to cataloge or arrange specimens as they were kept in storage drawers in museums ,so to use the term loosely to mount a deer skull would be a form of modern"Taxidermy" as the industry as a whole encompasses a large variety of processing or using animals or parts of , not just skins.

15. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

No. Taxonomy is the word you are referencing ... the science or technique of classification. Taxi (move) dermy-derma (skin) is the art of preparing and preserving the skins of animals and of stuffing and mounting them in lifelike form.

16. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Depends on the state. In Illinois a license is required to do taxidermy, however, a license is NOT required to do european skulls. Check your state.

17. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

It could be argued that in order to do a Euro mount you have to remove the skin and this fits the taxi-derma argument. Removing the skin is moving the skin. Here you would need a license.

18. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

no John ,I have some very old books that teference this taxonomy would be classifying specimens on paper as in a list taxidermy was the physically placing and arranging the specimens in "drawers" or display cases these were refered to as prepared specimens not taxidermied specimens taxidermy was adopted later as the term used to prepare the specimens but the original terminology was to move or arrange the skins in clasification of species

19. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

anyway most licenses refer to the processing of wildlife whether you use skin bones horns you are still taking a raw wildlife specimen and processing it into a finished product the only difference like George stated that tanning may require a different permit

20. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Member

I respect everyones opinion. But Birdman, if you're right then what we do isn't taxidermy at all. I dont rearrange and store specimens in drawers at a museam. And, I read that museams are not as popular as they used to be and on their way out. What is another name for taxidermy? Not counting animal artestry , or wildlife art.