1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

4 year old bear hide

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kickstart59, Nov 15, 2017.

1. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

I was given a bear that was skinned by a guide in canada 4 years ago. Hunter told me always been frozen solid. It was still wrapped in the orange export plastic.
    I got proper tagging info from hunter.
    I put it in a pickle to thaw, and all the hair seems to be holding and it doesnt have any rotten smell.
    I was going to send it out to be fleshed and tanned.
    My question is, how do I know if its still good?
    Hate to spend the money at tannery if its no good

2. I would first thaw it out, but not in fluids, and then stretch it out, and salt the heck out of it. Personally I use a couple (or more ) bread delivery crates which help keep skins off the ground and allow the bottom (hair) side to air as well. Then you would know after the first salting if it has been freezer burned (fat in freezer for a long time does that).

3. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

Ok thanks, if it is freezer burnt is there anything i can do to save it?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I often times thaw large frozen skins, such as bears in a brine solution, haven't used a pickle yet because I never have one mixed up when I need it for those, to help prevent spoilage and expedite the process, as we know many areas thaw while the center is still rock hard. I then let them drip dry as much as I can and then get after fleshing them. In this case, if the skin is thawed and the hair is tight, there is a good chance it is fine, but there is always a risk of it going the other way.

5. YOu need to flesh it and salt it and dry it there where you are. Then send it to tan. I thawed one the last few days been int he freezer of 8 years. The fat was yellowed. but I pressyre washed it just fine yesterday.

6. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

Thank you, fat was yellow but no hair slip of bad smell. Off to tannery monday