1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New CWD Rules For Louisiana

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by bhymel, Nov 15, 2017.

1. bhymel

bhymel Member

Is this affecting your business ?
    The majority of our Deer come from TX and Mississippi’
    Looks like it’s going to have a major effect on the number of deer we take in this year.
    I’ve had a couple groups of hunters leave deer behind that would normally bring back to Louisiana!
    Billy

MixedupMel likes this.
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good luck, is all I can say. I don't live there and don't know what they are imposing on you but, I'm sure it is similar to what is imposed on us in MN and it definitely hurts my bottom line.

MixedupMel likes this.

3. Sad thing is you cannot make any of the officials understand that this PRION exsist everywhere.

WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF OF THE MISFOLDING. When is misfolds is when it hangs up in the body. I had a long talk with Dr Le Cour in Louisiana this year.

Additionally the MISFOLDED PRION can be brought into the state in corn, wheat, milo, rice, hay, grass seeds and many other things.

MixedupMel likes this.
  4. Saw this one coming! There is no real rational for imposing such stupid regulations on hunters, taxidermists, and the industry as a whole, being one of the last states to impose such ignorant, useless and unenforceable laws on the public is just beyond common sense, they felt left out I guess! I've spoken to several biologist in the dept. and couldn't get a straight common sense answer, usually these kind of moves are financially motivated, but the LDWF is one of the most profitable within the state so I cant blame money, if anything they'll probably lose money on this one, most hunters I spoke with tells me they are cancelling most of their out of state hunts. This is a classic administrative move, most of what comes out of LDWF is either financially or enforcement motivated because that's what really keeps their wheels turning, nothing else.
    DC

MixedupMel likes this.
    MixedupMel likes this.
  6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    DC, silly you for expecting any common sense answer out of a government employee. They are trained to never answer a question and talk in circles until you think you understand or just get pissed and forget about it, either way they win, we keep paying their salaries.

MixedupMel likes this.
  7. The reason you cannot get a straight answer is simple. They do not want to loose Federal Research grants. If they were to all talk to each other they would see the how and why. But Federal funding would stop. Why stop it with millions goign to each state wildlife dept.

MixedupMel likes this.
  8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I know that John. A guy can hope, can't he? I know the answer to that as well, stack hope in one hand and chit in the other and we all know which hand gets filled the fastest.

MixedupMel likes this.
  9. I can understand your fears but from what I have seen over the last few years I don't see you losing a ton of business except maybe from deer shot in neighboring states where it is close enough that the hunter can drive back and get the mount in a reasonable travel time. Most states now are requiring all deer from my state of KS to have all brain and spine removed and left in KS before entering their state. I cape and skull cap a lot of deer for non resident hunters to take home with them or I ship to them or their taxidermist. Got one going to a taxi. in LA matter of fact. Very few choose to leave behind to have me mount even though they like my work. Just to expensive to crate and ship for most.

MixedupMel likes this.
  10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sportinglife, you happen to be in a "Destination" state for deer hunters, I am not and these all out bans have had a negative impact on my business, especially my bottom line and likely have done nothing in the regards to controlling the spread of this disease. I believe the exact opposite is happening. Leaving the potentially cwd positive carcasses or tissues on the landscape for scavengers to consume and spread, just doesn't make much sense to me. Mandating that they be handled by a licensed taxidermist or processor and disposed of properly, following accepted protocol, actually goes farther to contain it. People who go against these bans will still transport and dispose of these remains, not following any of the protocol, for fear of being found out and losing their trophy or meat.

MixedupMel likes this.
  11. bhymel

bhymel Member

The majority of our Business does comes from our neighboring states, TX and Mississippi.
    With most hunters returning to the same ranches. It's easy to leave, them then pick them up the next year.
    Not that big of a deal we were wanting to cut back on the amount of work anyway, Just aggravating that they do this without any foresight of the consequences.
    And still allow the high fence operations to bring Deer in to their pens .
    Follow the Money !!!!!

MixedupMel likes this.
  12. 3bears are you saying that hunters aren't allowed to bring you a deer from KS even if all he has is the cape and antlers ? I don't remember seeing any MN hunters this season but I have in the past.

MixedupMel likes this.
  13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That is not what I am saying sportinglife, They can bring back a cape and cleaned skull plate with antlers and their meat. Many will not even go hunt another state now because of the bans or they are people that do it on a regular basis or as bhymel said, leave it there and pick it up next season. I'm fine with folks such as yourself caping animals and prepping for transport and getting paid for it but, I have lost money and business because of it as well. I've had 2 cases of customers paying some supposed taxidermist in the states that they were hunting to prep for transport only to be informed by me, that capes were un-usable because of missing parts and the deciding to go with antler mounts instead of shoulder mounts. This is what I was told by my state, "We have to enact these rules because, other states are not doing their part". The fact is that most states complain of a decline in hunting license revenue and they wonder why. The answer has more to do with assinine rules and the cost of tags than it does with people's ages. Hunting is not a necessity for most, new rules limiting their whole experience is detrimental to retention of participants.

MixedupMel likes this.
  14. That is 100% not true. Yes i am a deer farmer breeder. Louisiana is a closed border state. We can not bring any live deer into our pens from any state. We can still sell to a open border states only. Any deer brought into any pen must be purchased within the state from other breeders. proper paper work, tags, and chip # must be documented. And per the new rules a copy must be sent to the state office of all purchases and sells . "The high fence operations" either raise their own deer or purchase from me and other IN STATE breeders.

MixedupMel likes this.
  15. My studio is two miles outside the Arkansas CWD zone. Well that stopped the tons of Euros mounts we were doing. Now we have a couple dozen jack legs that popped upi doing Euros for $50. to $75.. Over ruining many skulls. The state line and CWD area thing is simply bull crap. Deer dont stop at the state line they walk right on across and eat, piss, crap and breed. Shedding PRIONS all along the way.

What the rules has done is pushed the underground haxidermist into taking the mounts and euros and spreading the PRION.

Where if they do happen to use the trash service that truck loaded with the deer remains is goign down the hwy with in 100 feet of the shop.

Maybe I will just retire, I dont need the money from working in the shop. Its just a hobby according some idiot jack legs.

MixedupMel likes this.
  16. bhymel

bhymel Member

I here you buck fever
    There’s a high fence next to my lease, and there always talking about the northern deer, and the local deer in the fence,
    Maybe it’s been prior to the closed border rules! Just doesn’t seem that long ago they were bringing in deer!
    Or maybe northern means Shreveport .

MixedupMel likes this.