1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Waterfowl Stitching.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Employment' started by PWR Stroke, Nov 17, 2017.

1. PWR Stroke

PWR Stroke Tacoma Powered

Fallon
    Hello al. I'm new to taxidermy and this forum. I have been practicing on waterfowl, just skinning them de fleshing (with Borax) washing and degreasing... I'm ready to try my hand at stitching the brest incision. What is the best stitch for this and what guidelines do I need to know? I have looked on line but have not found much as far as what's the right way? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

2. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I think a baseball stitch works just fine.
    On waterfowl, I would suggest spacing your stitches about 3/8" apart. Gently pull your stitches closed about every three or four stitches.
    When you sew birds, draw the incision closed, but don't pull it really tight. If you cause that skin to "pucker" with an overly tight stitch, your feathers will distort and won't lay naturally. You juuuuust want that incision to close.
    It's imperative that you keep the feathers out of your stitching as much as possible. To be sure, a bit of down may get in there, but "feathers" tangled in stitching makes for a sloppy incision closure.
    Once your incision is completely closed and tied off, back brush it a few times with a rod, stiff wire, artists brush handle, anything available and suitable. This will realign the feathers back to their natural positions... and viola!
    Good luck to you.

3. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Also, your questions will be better received in the "Beginners" category.