1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Baby raccoonquestion

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by mopsrdrawer67, Nov 17, 2017.

1. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Hey folks. I found a fresh small raccoon on the side of the road that was killed. Probably the size of a very small cat. My question is, do I have to have it tanned before mounting?
    I have any mammal professionally wet tanned that is a raccoon or bigger, but it costs me around $70 per animal, which I factor into the price. Since this is for the shop display, I wouldn't mind saving the money, but if its necessary, I will do it. I do not want any shrinkage issues.
    Thank you.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can go with Dry Preserve.

3. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Thank you. If I use it (never have), can I thin around the eyes without any shrinkage issues??

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes you can. Use good hide paste all over every square inch and make sure that it is made for use with DP.

5. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Tanglewood Taxidermy, you're the best! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions for us rookies, and not belittling us in the process.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I use a method Michael P. suggested when I use DP. I liberally coat the hide with STOP ROT a few hours prior to applying DP and mounting it.

7. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

George, stupid question but...you apply the Stop Rot to the hair side or skin side??

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Skin side but also around the eyelids, nose and mouth areas.