1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dead larvae

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by SpanishGirl, Nov 20, 2017.

1. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Hi guys, I know that there is too many post about beetles, and i read a lot of them but i wanted to know how do you feed them when you havent flesh, I mean, I read to feed them with dog/cat food but it also that way has mites.
    The fact is that I lost more than a half of my colony and I think it was mites (only the larvae died) cause i fed them for a two moths with dog food. So yesterday I cleaned the cages with bleach and put the survivors with new nests and stuff and left some flesh in.
    What do you think?

2. Rottdogs

Rottdogs New Member

I am new to the beetles, and what I have done when I don't have a head in with them, I will cut a amount off of whatever meat I am cooking that night for dinner and put some of it in with them. I have done roast, hamburger and even a hotdogs. You can also when you get an animal you are going to clean to put in with the beetles, keep some of the pieces in the freezer that you can take out and feed them when you are not using to clean. Good Luck

3. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    I had not thought about that, the biggest problem I have is that I haven't them in my home, but in the country house, so I'll let them a huge piece of meat.
    Thank you for the advice!

4. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Hey! it's me again... Two months has passed and beetles did not lay any egg, even they have fresh flesh. The temperature is ok and the general conditions are the same as this summer, when the colony raised quikly.
    What could I do to motivate them to multiplicate?

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you can find dead animals, feed them the heads only with the brains intact. Not too large because it will spoil and smell bad before they eat it all. Brains seem to make them populate faster. Even mice and rats will work.

6. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Wait, are you saying that they like to reproduce with the brain?
    Right now they have a budgie corpse, but they did not go to it at all and has the brain yet. Maybe I should soak it in ammonia?
    So... I have two boiled pig heads frozen with the brains (a friend of mine gave me like that), can i let them some boiled brain?

7. Sea Wolf

Something *in* the brain tissue. A fat, protein .. unknown but they seem to reproduce well when they get some of it from time to time. If you put a bird in there and they haven't touched it, something else is wrong. Possibly too dry or not warm enough. Temp should be 75 degrees F. Not higher than 80 degrees F. If it is too dry, place paper towels in there and spray with water for humidity. Perhaps they also might still have mites from the dog food. Mites will be in the bedding, on the larva and the beetles too. Look very close at them and see if you see mites.

You can try some small pieces of the boiled brain but make sure your friend did not boil the heads in some chemicals.

8. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Im sure she didnt use chemical cause was boiled to fleshing for food, only with water.

I cleaned the box a month ago, throwing away the bedding and everything that was in but the paws they were eating... Maybe I should macerate it now and clean again the box. I used bleach to disinfect it, did I well? And if the beetles have mites, how do i remove from them?

The temperature is ~68F (20ºC) and even in summer I dind't let them water and they were fine.

9. Sea Wolf

I would try to get the temperature up to 25ºC first. It seems they are too cold to move and are dormant. You have to look very close to see mites. They look like dust on the larva and beetles. Google search dermestid mites and you will find pictures and videos. For such a small colony, to try and remove them would be too expensive and would be better to start over.

10. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    it is my room temp, I have nothing to up it (they are in the basement in my field house) but I thought this summer i will look for a decent container for them.

I looked them with a x20 magnifying glass and I did not see any mites. So i will clean the box, let them a little piece of brain and new flesh and if they really have and die, as you said I will search for and began a new colony...

Thank you so much Sea Wolf!

11. Sea Wolf

Use a small light or desk lamp for heat. Or a pad for reptiles under the tank. They need to be warmed up. Or bring them into a warmer area for the winter.

12. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Finally I caught 12 and I have them in my bedroom just to try. I put them on a little Tupper upon the radiator but the first night 2 of them died. Today I let them a bottle lid with papers soaked and they go to drink. They are so active now and I think they needed that humidity too.

So if everything go well, in how many time they should reproduce?

Edit: I also let them a dry vertebrae with the bone marrow (maybe it is like brain, and if it's not, I will look for)

13. Sea Wolf

I would not worry too much about reproducing until you can get them happy and not expiring. Get them humidity and water. Get them the warmth they need. They will like a piece of styrofoam to burrow in and lay eggs but until they are very good, they will not do this.

14. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    i thought styrofoam was just for the larvae to be hidden, I'm going to let them.
    My idea is to create a new colony while is cold outside and keep them home. If it's go wrong, bad luck and in summer I have to looking for a corpse, but if go well I will be happy to complete these challenge and continue with my original colony.
    As I said, when time I will condition a box or freezer (if I found) for them.
    Thanks again!

15. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Update: they love the place and began reproducing.
    Today i found these ovals that I thought are eggs, am I right? they laid them everywhere
    Hope you can see it, I'm on mobile and I don't know how to upload at all.
    https://imgur.com/T9AYifG

16. Sea Wolf

Certainly eggs of something. Without proper humidity they will not hatch. Keep doing what you are doing and wish for good luck.

17. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Spain
    Last update: they finally hatched and yes, they are dermestid larvae.
    Thank you Sea Wolf so much again for the steps you gave me to follow.