1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Feet skinning/fleshing

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by pir^2h, Nov 21, 2017.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Before you jump my case to "Check the achieves!" I tried but it seems to yield a bunch of unrelated items. Does anyone know if someone has posted a tutorial on skinning and fleshing bear feet. I feel there has to be an easier way than the battle I seem to have with them. Thanks!

Vic

2. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

http://www.kastaway.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=2&Category_ID=1&Sub_Category_ID=11
    This covers all aspects of skinning a bear.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well how do you do it? They do take a little time and are tedious but not that hard.

4. pir^2h

It may be that my old hands just don't work all that well any longer! I was just hoping there would be a tutorial on here someplace. I don't need help with the entire bear but I may get the video anyways.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Vic, I skin down to the first joint on the toes and then sever them from the paw and I can put a vice grip on each toe bone and skin them individually, down to the claw. Sometimes I hang the vice from the ceiling and let gravity help me. The fleshing part is pretty straight forward it is just that the tissue under the pads is very tough, sharp scalpel is all I use. I forgot I cut through the pads not around them. It is easier for me, the apoxy work to cover the seam, if needed is simple enough.

6. pir^2h

Thanks for the suggestions 3bears. I have been cutting around the pad on the couple bears I have done. When you cut through the pad do you cut from the back heal all the way to the claw?

Vic

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I cut to the front of the pad. People complain about the skin being weak or the stitches pulling out when they sew through the pad but, I think they are over stuffing the foot. I guess I never understood cutting around the pad. When you order a form, it typically has wires or rods coming out of the center of the foot and you have to figure out where to cut a hole for it to slip through, not so when you cut through the pad.

8. pir^2h

3bears, I cut through the pad but I didn't go all the way to the front. Just far enough to relieve the pressure to invert the skin over the meat. It might have taken move effort than going all the way up but it will be a little less work during the mounting process. Thanks for the advice.

Vic

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Glad to help Vic,

10. Syms1919

Syms1919 Member

I cut through the pad skin down a little then hang the foot/tail from the roof and a sharp knife and u got some human hands

11. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Active Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cu_2uI82OQ
    heres a video I did years ago on skinning bear paws

12. ice

ice Active Member

Alaska
    A screwdriver is a bear skinner's best friend. Once the foot is either hung or tied in such a way that you can really pull against it, skin down to toes, cutting the main pad but not the toe pads (don't make "spaghetti feet"). Shove that screwdriver between two toes; now you can really PULL the skin down, with minimal cutting, to the last joint. Repeat with other toes.

3bears likes this.
  13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I'm gonna have to try that! Thanks for sharing!

14. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I cut around the pad on three sides,( back, inside, and front) but I leave 1/2 inch of skin left attached to the pad for sewing up later. When I get to the last joint in the toe, I grab it with a set of vise grips and pull and skin that way to the claw. I skin all mammal feet the same way. Works for me. I do the fleshing with a wide blade scalpel. Good luck.

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    JL, Why do you cut around the pad? I've asked many that and I always get the responses like " It's easier to hide the seam or the pad won't hold stitches", which both sound like hooey to me. I can't figure out what is so hard about apoxying over and retexturing the pad, going around the pad leaves the opportunity for the seam to show. Next, if the pad won't hold a stitch, then you have the feet too full of clay or form is too big. I understand that you've been at this game for a spell, much longer than myself, that is why I'm asking you.

16. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I don't like to repair or epoxy pads if I don't have to. By leaving a half inch of hide still attached to the pad I don't have to repair anything. Since the anatomy of the foot allows me to hide the small stitches they never show, especially using same color thread. I agree that there might be a problem if the foot is overfilled but properly done there won't be a problem. Of course on the attaching foot you have to put the threaded rod through the pad and that has to be considered however this foot usually sits on the base and you never see it so a bit of epoxy and color is a simple fix. This is just the way I do it and not necessarily the best way to do it but it works for me. Good luck.

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thank you JL, I appreciate your response.