1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Giraffe Tanned

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by lancehadlock, Nov 21, 2017.

1. lancehadlock

lancehadlock New Member

Looking for a tannery to tan a Giraffe hide. Does any one have any suggestions on a tannery to do it?

2. H and H fur dressing in Reed City Michigan. http://www.furdressing.com/

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi Lancehadlock!

Whoever you choose - be aware that that neck skin on a Giraffe can sometimes be 2" thick and requires frequent shavings (Labor costs). It's simply a cost you have to add to the overall Tanning of the skin. Like Bison - they shave them, then Pickle them again and once they expand (usually 24 hours later) they have to shave them again. Depending on the age of the animal it may require 2 or 3 shavings to achieve to make it workable and an ultimately soft skin.

Bruce Rittel

4. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Funny, I recall this old PH in Africa explaining it to me in these terms. I'm not sure if his figures were all that accurate (11 yrs ago), but his point was made and it readily convinced a friend of mine not to shoot one. The old timer said: "just remember the figure 3200". You see it is going to cost you $3200 to shoot one. Since that hide weighs in around 3200 lbs, its going to cost you another $3200 to ship it to the States. Plus once you have it there it will probably cost you another $3200 just to have it tanned. So, for at least $9600 you will finally have your trophy skin. With today's costs that would likely be over $10,000, not to mention shipping within the US.

5. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

The Wildlife Gallery has tanned several for me. They've all turned out nice.
    I think to tan a full skin was around $2,900, and just a cape was around $2,000. That's a ball park figure as I can't remember exactly.