1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you charge just to tan a raccoon hide?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by John L, Nov 21, 2017.

1. John L

John L Active Member

What do you charge just to tan a raccoon hide? I was thinking if sent to a tannery around $125

2. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Whatever the Tannery charges, double it. Plus shipping.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What is your time worth to you? How long does it take to get ready to send to tannery? What does the tannery charge? What is shipping? What is your overhead? To me $125 is cheap.

4. John L

John L Active Member

I see most tannery's are around $60 so if I do $20 shipping both ways should be around $160 round up to $175

xsticker likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Now that's more like it. As a customer that may sound expensive but, as a business, why would you do it for less? If it brought to me skinned fleshed and dried I knock some off but, not that much.

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

yes, thats about right.

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

$250

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That's what some charge to mount one lol.

9. boarhunter67

I'm a little more because I figure if I'm going to spend the time to skin it out and flesh it, I should make it worth it and raccoon are greasy and their tails and fingers aren't the easiest. I charge $800 to mount a closed mouth raccoon. I charge $350 to tan coyote. I only get a few every year, but I don't have to worry about getting stiffed on them anymore because the higher price keeps away a lot of the flakes and I take a 50% deposit which covers the total cost of the tan and shipping. Also, when I am too busy I pay my skinner $100 per life size animal to skin out so anything I make is bonus if I don't work on it myself. Last year as a part timer I did 250 animals; the year before 300. Time is money and when you don't have as much time you can afford to charge more and lose a few customers.

Crystal2807 likes this.
  10. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

You did 300 mounted animals in a year You don't have any time for anything .

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

$250 That way I send a message as well as making it worth my time and effort to skin, flesh, split, turn, and salt dry before I have to take time to ship it to the tannery. Many people say "that's too much" and I tell them that they should try someone else then. Same thing goes for squirrels. I don't want to do them but if I have to, I'm going to be paid well to do them.

Crystal2807 likes this.
  12. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I've been charging 250 for lifesize tan on fox, coon, and coyote for years.. people pay it..
    And I just raised coyote to 300 because my last 3 coyote had my hacking in the corner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

13. boarhunter67

That number included hides and Euros.

14. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

If its just a trapper style skin you can send to a garment tanner like Moyle or Tubari, the prices they charge are not a lot. I have a bunch of foxes and can get a quantity discount, Tubari 20+ no brightener added ( doubt I'd need brightener) 12.50 each. Moyle is 19.50 for just 1 coon. Moyle does take forever on turnaround though. Dbl that, add shipping and add whatever you think your time is worth for skinning, fleshing and stretching/salting the damn thing.

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have a "you skin" and a "we skin" price on tanning. Most people who skin themselves whack off the feet, so there's less to deal with. I charge $85 for raccoons if they skin, $125 if I skin. Mine go to Moyle, so the tanning cost is ~$25.

Vicki Chritton-Myers likes this.
  16. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I just charged $240 for a ladies pet cat, tan only (I don't do pets!). It was a huge, pretty looking Calico. Case skinned it and did it like for a life-size. My tannery charges $45. I paid $14 to ship dry-salted USPS Priority flat-rate, they will ship it back UPS about $19. I multiply by 3 to get my hourly rate of$65 (1 hour) and my profit. She gladly paid it.