1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Bill Dishman, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

I had a friend email me today with a question about krowtanning. Since I don't use the stuff I thought I'd ask those of you that do the question. To krowtann two Mtn lions, should you double the batch of tanning solution and put them both in one container, use a single batch of tanning solution and put them both in one container, or tan each one separate? Thanks!

2. bob watkins

bob watkins Member

i would due them separate and i would make it double for a lifesize

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would call the manufacturer.

4. bob watkins

bob watkins Member

correct formula from krowtan life size cougar 7.5 gal of water 192oz salt 24oz krowtan neutralization formula 6 gal water 20oz of sodium bicarbonate time 20 min

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Why would someone risk doing mountain lions with krowtann?!!! If those are client skins and something goes wrong they are going to be out some serious $$$.

6. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

LOL... obviously you’ve never used Krowtan.I have used them all and they all work unless you are the problem as a taxidermist.

Not going to lose a skin using this product, unless you screw it up

7. pir^2h

Thank you for keeping tabs on what I have used and letting me know. Before you make a comment like you did don't assume things you don't know about.

I have used Krowtann. It worked but my opinion is for something like a cat I would use something better. Everyone has their own opinion.

8. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Soooo... tell me what I i am assuming , that I don’t know about?

My opinion is every bit as good as yours, maybe better. As I’ve never had an issue with any tan unless I screwed it up.

You act like a Mountion Lion is such a special animal to tan. In my opinion, simple to tan. SIMPLE. Easy Flesh, stretchy skin.

I know that much. I don’t like drama associated with “risking a mountain lion” to this tan. My money is on operator error ... if that offends you get over it.

9. pir^2h

You are assuming I never used Krowtann. Don't assume things about people that you don't know. My opinion is there are much better ways out there to do home tanning. If you don't like my opinion, tough $hit, I don't care. Move on.

10. It will wok fine on a mt lion. the one thing I would watch in the neutralizing I would watch that very closely not because it will cause problems but if the tanner is not paying attention it could .

I currently have a lifesize hog in KT. have about 85% of the shield off, I checked it about 2 hours after putting the very dirty skin in and the pH was still under two. This hog is not fat at all.