1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can you look at a competors deerhead and tell if it's dry preserved or tanned?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by fish stuffer, Nov 25, 2017.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

I sure see alot with not much detail in them. I know if done right you can get a good looking mount with d.p. I can't believe how many go to the other guy to save 50 dollars. Then I look at his site and looks like he stretched it over form with no glue. The American people don't know jack about taxidermy. What really kills me is the established guy getting way more and people love his work and hes dry preserving them. I tan mine and they go to cheaper guy down the road. I'm thinking of becomming a powder monkey myself. I havent d.p. a cape in 20 years. I know which is better. But people only want low price. The high guy was trained by dp guy, but he was issued "unlimited money by daddy to open up." got on tv and opened processing plant. Charges 600 and they crack around the eyes. Original question-Can you look at compeditors deer and tell if dp or tanned?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There are people on here that DP that I would but up to any tanned mount any day of the week. They do near competition quality.
    I can't tell you how many deer heads that I have seen that I would burn with fire because they are so bad that were tanned. Drumming every where, pulling away from eyes and lips etc. I think it comes down to how well it was mounted with either. A good DP guy knows how to work with his chosen method to ensure a quality mount that remains forever.

I suspect the crummy DP mounts out there are less the DP and more the inability of the taxidermist and if the same taxidermist was to use a tanned skin, you'd probably get the same poor quality.

So,to answer your question, no, probably not.

3. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Well said, Tanglewood! I completely agree. Dry preserved or tanned, a meatball taxidermist will produce the same results.

4. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    No other way to say it.