1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

neck size ? on deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drwalleye, Nov 27, 2017.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I use a auto tanner and shave my capes with a fleshing wheel. I know mine are not as thin as a tanmnery gets them but im afraid to cut more holes and make more work. how do you guys stretch cape?
    I cut my deer all the way up the back and before I measure below the ears I pull as hard as I can to stretch I out then I pull it back the long way and go back and gently pull neck to width and measure. then they get what they get for a neck size but sometimes I feel It could have been bigger but I don't want to order forms too big that I need to fight with it. just wondering if most guys just pull with there hands or is there a tool I should be using to try and get them bigger.(not bigger than they were just to what they were)
    Thanks

2. I am by no means an expert and there are guys on here that know far more than I do on this subject. With that being said, I tan all my capes in house and I've never really had trouble keeping the capes the same size they were when they came off the deer. If you're fighting to get the deer cape to stretch back to its original size then I would imagine there is a problem. Are you relaxing capes prior to the pickle?

3. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

I measure mine only after they are back from the tannery. I hand stretch the cape's neck, measure, then double that number. Works great! Some taxidermists insert an innertube into the neck and inflate it until it stretches the neck. I've never done this, but I would imagine they get more 'size' than I do.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Don't you measure the deer when it comes in?

5. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Actually I have just been capeing them and not doing any measuring until after I tan it. That's when I stretch it out and measure it before I order the form. So I do not know if I am getting back to original size or not. All I know is I feel I stretch it out by hand the Best I can.and that was years past. This year I have been writing down untanned measurement but haven't gotten any tanned yet.so that's why I'm asking in advance my capes fit very good on the forms but I am questioning myself if I could be doing better for the customer. I know everyone wants a huge neck.

6. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I think George means a meat measurement not a green skin measurement. A green skin will stretch to an unrealistic size. I measure mine when back from the tannery and stretch by hand but I sweat them in the frig over night in a plastic bag and mine are wet tanned. Just my way.