1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

experimental catfish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by mopsrdrawer67, Nov 27, 2017.

1. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

I had a customer bring in a 20" catfish. I was going to rder an artificial cast fish from McKenzie but I thought I'd try this 1st. Let me know your thoughts.
    I carved a catfish with the original measurements out of the dense carving foam, minus fins and tail. I cut slots for the fins and tail. And carved features such as gills, lips, etc. Looks very good so far. I have just poured envirotex over the entire body (as a sealer). Has anyone done this? After its dry, I will paint and seal again with clear.
    I could not find catfish fins by suppliers, so I ordered a set of redfish fins. (they are similar, but dorsal fin needs to be trimmed and becomes an anal fin and I am building an anapose type fin.

2. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

A picture of your process would make it much easier to comment, I for one would like to see it.

3. jakecs

jakecs Member

How come you didn't cast the fins off the fish??

4. lake country sells fins for channel and flathead catfish

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I see it working fine if you have the skill to replicate features considering a catfish has a smooth skin.

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

All depends on your skill level in interpreting and carving the body. Those rib bones look challenging! Interesting approach, but can't be cost-effective vs. buying a blank. JMO!

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Doesn't sound like the best idea I've ever heard, but who knows, maybe you'll pull it off. Envirotex wouldn't be very forgiving. Coating with some elmers wood filler would be easier, and could be sanded smooth.

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

You might pull it off, but I'm not keen on the Envirotek idea. Good luck JL