1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Tanning Method?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by PlagueWolf, Nov 28, 2017.

1. PlagueWolf

PlagueWolf Missouri Fur Trapper

Hello all, I am not new to taxidermy by all means, but I am definitely new to tanning. I've only tried out a few methods a long time ago when I was younger that did not go so well. I have finally reached my limits and decided its time to give tanning a go again, this time more professionally. My biggest freezer is FULL and I've just discovered my backup has broke in the moving process.

Looking for any good tips, advice, methods, and tutorials! Thanks

2. IMO synthetic tans are the best. I personally like Rittels EZ-100 and Trubond, but there are other good ones out there.

Being very thorough with your prep work before tanning is just as, if not more, important than the tan you use. This is where I see beginners struggle the most. You can use the best tanning product available but it won't matter if your hide isn't fully 100% fleshed and degreased, you won't get good results. So take your time and get your hides as clean as you possibly can before tanning.

Rittels instructions
    Trubond instructions
    Brian Hendricks tanning video series