1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

elk leg project

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by gnatboy911, Nov 29, 2017.

1. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Member

Hey guys, My father in law has always wanted an elk leg 'something'. He doesn't care what it is; lamp, coat rack, etc. I shot an elk last year and skinned out the lower portion of the leg, all the way to the last knuckle. I watched several tutorials and managed to get it figured out. After I skinned it, I trimmed all fat/muscle off and liberally packed it with salt and thats how it still is; dried in salt.

I'm looking for some suggestions/ideas on what to do with it. I was thinking a lamp, just because there are several kits out there available. If I go that route, does anybody have a recommendation on a kit that I could buy? I know there are several companies that make them.

I have never done this kind of taxidermy before. I do a decent number of european mounts for friends and family using beetles, but this is new territory for me.

Any tips or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!
    Nate.

2. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Member

Dang, gonna be honest, I'm surprised nobody has any experience with this...anyone??

3. I did a lot of deer , elk and moose feet in the past,, first you must tan the skin, Krotan formula will work great, then just choose a kit you like and go for it, if it's not what you like just pull the hide off and get another foot next season, single foot lamps ( thermomerter) are easier since the seam is straight, L shape forms are a little tuffer to sew.

4. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Member

Michael, Thanks for the reply! I'll check out the Krotan formula. That was a big concern I had, tanning the hide myself. I was thinking I'd do something straight on this one and not try to sew an L-shape one since I've never sewn up hide before either. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Nate.