1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Who is mounting JR's deer .....

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Kerby Ross, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

2. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Active Member

Ohio
    His property is not far from me.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Probably went with the cheapest guy near him!

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

LOL! Probably wants it done for free because of his name.

5. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Hard to tell already has a couple mounted. Been hunting for years.

6. Would you do it for free for the publicity ,that's the question.

7. Kerby Ross

snagmaster49 .... Absolutely not.

:)

Kerby...

8. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

For us older people the real question is "WHO SHOT JR" LOL :eek: ;D

9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I remember that! Either 1980 or 1981
    I remember that! Either 1980 or 1981. I forgot exactly which.

10. EA

EA Well-Known Member

No? Why not? A few yrs ago I was contacted by a group offering a commercial with Terry Bradshaw. I can't recall the fee. I want to say around 4 or 5K...I didn't have it at the time, but have probably wasted as much since on other types of advertising. Maybe I should have spent the cash then.

If you could get a photo op, maybe a short endorsement blurb with rights to use those photos for a certain time in your own advertising, wouldn't that be worth a deer mount?

Just asking. I'm not in the business.

11. Kerby Ross

EA ...

EA, it might be for some taxidermists ... but definitely not me. I don't like outfitters looking for discounts if they send business my way, nor do I give discounts for multiple mounts. And in the past 42 years that I have been dabbling in taxidermy I have had a few requests to do state record fish for free ..... not me.

:)

Kerby...

12. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I understand where you are coming from Kerby. A state record fish or any state record specimen is a little different tho. Those lucky people don't have a base of loyal fans. They'll be a celebrity for a week or two then be forgotten.

JR on the other hand, has thousands of rabid fans who follow him. He's a top 100 Athlete. A top 100 Celebrity. Endorsements from some of the top Corporations in America. Loved by millions. Squeaky clean reputation.
    I agree you have to pick and choose wisely, but if you were going to trade a mount for a picture and the rights to use it for yourself, I don't think you could do much better than him. JMO.

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    EA, I understand what you are getting at but I agree with Kerby. I wouldn't do it for free either. He may be different, but it seems in my life experiences, folks like him are use to people throwing themselves at them and they have less respect for others because of it. Many appreciate the fact that you treat them as just an every day customer and not a celebrity.

14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

wonder who does trumps sons work? both of them hunt Africa

15. FishArt

Somebody as famous as Junior certainly would make you think twice about it. But, no I'm with Kerby and would not do it for free. And I don't think he nor anybody else as rich as him would even ask for it for free. I think the only reason I might do it for free would be to possibly bring a few higher end clients. But, even that would probably be very minimal, if any. Bottom line is maybe starting out it might be feasible to do, but Mike you have to realize many of us already have enough work and our prices are already pretty high and we don't need to advertise. Other than a cpl of sport shows for the experience I haven't paid for advertising in at least ten years. (Sport shows didn't even pay for themselves! Might be a fish thing though..>) IMO doing it for free would be pointless other than for bragging rights I think...

16. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

This post shows how foolish we are as taxidermists. In one breath youre all trying to guess who mounts his stuff...then in the next youre asking if you would consider mounting his work for free, for publicity? WHAT PUBLICITY?? Nobody knows who does his work, thats not much advertising, lol.

Its been my experience that many high profile names specifically ask that I NOT publicize that they have work with me. Now you scoundrels might zap me by saying its because the guys ashamed of me, hahaha, but yes, they dont always want us to say anything.

Im with Kerby.

17. FishArt

I think the assumption Bill is that by doing it for free one would get a pic or two with junior and maybe a few kind words and be able to advertise with it. Otherwise, yeah if nobody knows then clearly there would be no point to do it! In this case Junior has already stated he took a deer so there'd also be no worries about hiding the fact that he killed something. THAT is the reason they wouldn't want to say anything I think!

18. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Bill, You're a Sabres fan. Of coarse they are ashamed of you! LOL ;)

You guys make some valid points. Thats why I asked.
    There is a guy on here who does work for James Hetfield (Metalica). I'd like to hear his take.

19. The point would be if you could advertise with a picture that you mounted his deer might get you some publicityy,if he makes you sign a contract with his lawyers that no publicity is allowed of course there would be nothing to gain

20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I didnt elaborate, and maybe I shouldve. True, the guy that already announced he shot something obviously doesnt care if anyone knows. But I was speaking in general, not specific to this one story. So many of us have made those deals, we were going to get all this publicity, notoriety, etc. And sometimes it works. Other times despite the promises, the exposure just doesnt come. I can say it another way. Go back to some notable mounts or famous kills, and ask yourself and others, who mounted it.