1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Jan Van Hoesen

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Kerby Ross, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

So sorry to hear of her passing.

:(

Kerby...

2. X2

3. Jan Van Hoesen judged the first piece I ever entered in competition which had quite an impact on me. She was an incredible gift to our industry. May she rest in eternal peace.

4. Richard C

Richard C Active Member

My condolences to the family . I always enjoyed Jan and Jeans company at the shows . Jan was a great artist/taxidermist , rest in peace.

5. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

i met Jan in 1992 at the World show in Gainesville, GA. She won Best in World with a Bobcat. I worked with Jan on several projects and videos over the year as well as judging at many shows with her. Jan stayed at my house several times and was over for dinner with Jean Roll when I was at WASCO. We always had fun and Jan was always professional and personable. It was always great to see Jan and Jim at shows. The Van Hoesen Family has always been an inspiration to me Jan will be missed terribly in the taxidermy industry.

6. I was so very sad to hear this news. Jan was a wonderful Sweet Lady as well as a tremendous artist. A pioneer for us women in this industry.

I had the privilege of sharing a hotel suite with her, Jeanie Roll, Wendy Christensen, Wendy Johnson, and Jane Dyke at worlds this year. We had a great time! I really had the opportunity to get to know these ladies! It was an experience I will never forget and will cherish always. Rest in peace Miss Jan.

7. WOW, was not expecting to see this tonight ! RIP Jan

DP

8. Sorry to hear. Jan was a great taxidermist and teacher. RIP Jan

9. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

A true Lady and a true innovator in the industry of taxidermy. So sorry to hear this news. God Speed to you Jan! My prayers go out to the Van Hoesen Family.

Rick Krane

10. Tom McNeal

Tom McNeal Member

So sad to hear this news.

Rest in peace Jan! May perpetual light shine upon you and Jim.

Tom & Gail McNeal

11. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Active Member

RIP Condolences to the family, Truly an Icon of our industry

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Her kind words to my daughter at this years world show personified her support for the young and up coming taxidermists. Her work in Green Bay NTA is what inspired myself to compete. She was one of the great ones. Godspeed Jan.

13. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I will miss her! She was a wonderful person to know and I always enjoyed her e-mails! God Bless her! RIP!

14. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

is there a link to her obituary? I couldn't find it online

15. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

So sad to hear this news.

Jan came to the Tennessee show to Judge and do a Seminar around 20 years or so ago. She sat in on our business meeting and learned that we were struggling a little financially. She donated a workshop for our auction that brought in almost $1,000 for our organization. That's the kind of person she was. She was very talented as well as kind and generous.

She will be missed

16. Please, if anyone knows arrangements please post it right away.

17. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Such sad news. Always hard to see an icon like Jan Pass. She will be missed.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jan was one of my favorites. She and I have a love hate relationship. I loved her and she hated when I opened my mouth. Still, we were always cordial and the day I knew she liked me was when we were in Huntsville, there was movie at the Space Center. I went down front for the best effects. Suddenly someone tapped me on the should and said, "Would you mind if I sat beside you." It was Jan and we both laughed about being out in public together like that. She once approached me and said she wanted an honest answer. She was protective (as she should have been) about her manikins. She said that one supplier wanted her to cut the toes off her bobcats and lynx forms. She wasn't happy about it and asked me for an honest opinion. I told her though I lived her manikins and used them, I always cut the toes off and clayed them so I could adjust them to the diorama I was using. She confided that she'd never thought of that. I like Jan. I liked her a lot and will sure miss her. The industry with miss her much more. God Speed, Lady.

19. DL

DL Well-Known Member

One of the sad things about aging is we go to more funerals than weddings.

20. clewis

clewis New Member

It is always so sad when those we care about pass. Jan was a special person with a special gift she gave freely to everyone. My condolences to her family. She leaves a wonderful legacy of innovation and advocacy to the taxidermy world. Gone but never forgotten