1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer tracking advice

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by PSUturf91, Dec 2, 2017.

1. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

Hello all,

This isn't a taxidermy post, but I'm in desperate need of some advice or perhaps just some comforting words. I shot a nice buck tonight at dusk. Shot was about 250 yds off a solid rest. Shot him with a 300 wsm, 165 g ballistic tips. He dropped in his tracks. After about 30 seconds he got up and ran away. I took a second shot as he ran but 250 yds off hand I'm not confident the second shot connected. Found a lot of dark grey hair where be went down. No blood, no bone, just hair. I walked toward where I took the second shot and found a drop of dark red blood in that approximate location. Not sure if coincidence or if the second shot connected. I followed a sparse blood trail for about 25 yds before deciding to back out and go back tomorrow morning. Anyone every have similar experience? I'm thinking high back shot. Is there any hope for a happy ending? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ben

2. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

165 gr accubond***

3. buckman170

buckman170 Member

Sounds like you might have got guts/liver. Give it over night and go in and look in the morning, don't push him. Good luck!

4. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

Grey hair could mean brisket. Did you find him? If not, look for the thickest parts of the property, and any standing water in the vicinity.

5. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

It seems that the deer was spine shocked , they will drop in their tracks an d are able to recover and make a escape

6. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

I think both unfortunately and fortunately you seem to be right. Went back this morning and found very little blood. Followed blood for several hundred yards. Only reason I was able to continue to find blood was because I was able to follow his tracks in the leaves. After about 4-500 yards, spots of blood were 50-75 yards apart. At this point he was back with several other deer, was feeding and even tended a couple rubs. I'm assuming/hoping he will make a full recovery. Thanks to those who replied for your input.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just an opinion but I've had several like that and in all cases, I was shooting for high front shoulder. If you're unfortunate enough to hit that "paddle" on the leg, it will do just as sgsmith said. They drop like a bad habit. But the shot doesn't actually freak those free floating front legs and if the bullet penetrates all the way through, you wound channel is in that "no man's land) in front of the lungs. There's nothing "terminal in that area. If he hit the ground, you can bet that grey hair you found was from the exit wound.

8. PSUturf91

PSUturf91 New Member

That certainly is possible as I was aiming high shoulder. However, the lack of bone/blood/fat/muscle tissue found at the point of impact seems more indicative of what sgsmith suggested. There was a ton of grey hair, which to me suggests that the bullet skinned his back removing the hair over a large area instead of 1 small (relative to a wound that spans the width of his back) exit wound. Obviously all speculation, but I'm hoping that my assessment is correct and ill get a second chance at him in the final weeks of the season.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Entirely plausible. About 5 years back it happened to me. We're a shotgun state. I had a buck broadside at 75 yards. The gun was resting on the stand rail and I took the shot. The deer dropped like a bad habit. While I was gloating over my shot, the deer jumped up and I watched him run r00 yards across a cut corn field. About 30 seconds later I heard my neighbor shoot. I went out and found a basket full of gray hair. I went down to the neighbors farm and he was dragging "my buck" out. He'd shot it in the liver on the opposite side as it ran by. I told him my story and we rolled the buck over. The deer had been slightly chartering towards me. My slug had hit exact where I'd aimed but it struck the paddle and shave a trough up to the back ever it hit the vertical bones in the spine. There it tore about a 2 inch circle of skin and hair off. That's what made him drop. The neighbor generously offered it to me but I told him that if his liver shot hadn't happened, that deer would still be chasing does.