1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Chemicalless Tanning for Deer Hides

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Bandit Taxidermy, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Bandit Taxidermy

Bandit Taxidermy New Member

I'm looking for any advice on how to tan a deer hide without all the chemicals. I've heard several different methods but was wondering if you guys might have any advice on whats worked best for yall. Thanks in advance.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Brain tan would be your ticket in my opinion. Google Braintan.com. Chemicals are used for taxidermy tanning here.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

brain tan is the only way to go to achieve one of the best tans but its not used in taxidermy

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Actually, there's no such thing as a tan without chemicals. Even with brain tanning, you're going to use SOME type of chemical. Even water is a chemical.

5. Bandit Taxidermy

Bandit Taxidermy New Member

I should have clarified that I do a lot of novelty work like wall hangers and couch throws. On my deer hide blankets I’ve been pickling them but I’m looking for a more natural way that’s not using the safety acid.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

George wins this one.

Safety acid is about as natural as you can get as it is a derivative of urea. Then there's citric, naturally occurring, and formic which is produced naturally by insects such as ants and bees.
    You can brain hides but that doesn't tan until you smoke the hides. Even smoking hides is not chemical free, aldehydes in the smoke provide the needed crosslinking..

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I do know that ants harbor formic acid as I eat a rather large one on a dare. Definitely formic acid.