1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turning difficult deer ears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Marvtaxidermy, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy New Member

Just turned ear in deer and the rverse pliers busted out the back, so on the other ear I was very careful using my
    Thumbs and it also busted. The back skin on those ears were as thin as I have ever encountered. In the past I would jump on
    The ears asap while still green and never been in freezer. But ocasionally run across one or both that is a pain. When is the best time to turn ear while still green or after pickle? Does anyone have a better technique?

2. I always turn green. I use the ear wizzard and love it, but occasionally I have to use a scalple

3. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

Invert the ear until you are past the bulk of the meat and to the cartilage. Take a scalpel and score through all the membrane, barely cutting into the cartilage. Take some Dry Preservative (I've even just used talc powder) and rub it inside the ear. You can then get a grip and just use your thumbs inside the ear to separate it almost completely. You may have to use the scalpel in a few places near the edge when you first start but to me it is much easier than using the ear openers (reverse pliers). Never used an ear wizard though. After using this method that I believe George put on here I've never had an issue. Some of the older bucks that have scar tissue provide some problems but it's nothing a little TLC can't take care of when your inverting them.

4. coroner2

coroner2 philip4u2@juno.com

Good post GW

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

I really like the ear wizzard, but sometimes I end up turning the ears by hand using a scalpel and taking time. I've always turned them green out to the last 1/4" and then done the last bit after tanning.

6. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy New Member

Thanks for suggestions. Starting to think it might be easier to turn when comes out of pickle and very wet, because if ears are dried out that can be trouble.

7. I do exactly what tazzymotto said; it also pays dividends to be careful and to have both hands free