1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mounting a Guinea Hen..

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by allison1952, Dec 7, 2017.

1. allison1952

allison1952 Member

Can anyone give me some insight on mounting a Guinea Hen, basically what is protocol for the head?? is it like a turkey, remove and freeze dry or??? lookin for the most economical but acceptable approach... Appreciate any and all insight, thanks again

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have pondered this somewhat and reached the conclusion that I would use a cast head. It's quick and easy and when I'm trying something new, I don't want un necessary difficulty.
    For me, experimentation on those heads would take place on subsequent mounts.

3. nate

nate Active Member

I would freeze dry it, same as a turkey

4. dbronco

dbronco Member

I would definitely recommend freeze drying like a turkey. It will keep the feathers/hairs on the head intact and make it look far more realistic.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

allison1952, the reason I suggested the cast head is because you asked for most economical. I assume that a guinea hen head would cost similar to a turkey head.

An artificial turkey head costs me around $50 including shipping. To have it freeze dried, it's about $75 shipping to the company so that it is received still frozen, then the $55 freeze dry service and the $10 return shipping and I have up to $130 into it.

Therefore, an artificial head is the most economical and acceptable approach. When it comes to turkeys, I prefer the freeze dry route even though it costs more.

6. allison1952

allison1952 Member

Thank you very much for all the advice everyone, what is the best source for a painted complete replacement head for a guinea hen. Appreciate all the advice.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

There probably isn't one, however, I would contact Tony Finnazo on here for artificial heads and I know he used to paint the bills on ducks so, he might be able to paint it as well.

8. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Ours is $17.95 with eyes

9. allison1952

allison1952 Member

thanks for all the advice everyone