1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

salting capes

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by 1tahr, Dec 8, 2017.

1. 1tahr

1tahr Member

hi I recently worked with a taxidermist who did not salt capes , they were fleshed washed and straight into a 50 % saline formic acid solution , he didn't seem to have any problems is there any one else using this method what are the pros and cons thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Salt content is high should be lower 42-44% but there are many tanneries and home tanner's that do this.
    I do this on all my mammals, skin flesh, wash rinse and in the pickle.

3. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I have sat in a few tanning seminars and the Pro-1 guy told us that salting is ok but not a have too in tanning.... I personally take the big chunks off, turn the eyes, ears Lips and nose them pickle and do the final fleshing after about 3 days, then pickle again.... I have not had any issues doing this and it saves a couple of days in the tanning process......

4. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

A good pickle is the safest place for a un tanned skin.. Salting is a form of preserving so skins can be stored for future tanning.. Its an alternative to freezing.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You guys are playing with your ass. Salt is NOT used to preserve the hide for tanning. It is used as an astringent to remove fluids from the cell structures in the skin. This leaves a void which in turn makes the hide "thirsty" and by osmosis, pickling fluids are drawn more easily into the vacated cells. Somewhere in the archives is a detailed explanation by a doctor Hooshang (sp)

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,177013.msg1242573.html#msg1242573

7. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

So you throw your skins into a pickle dry, salted and thirsty??

8. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

That was a great,VERY informative and very long write up but it was also over the head of about 99.99999% of the taxidermists and tanners on the face of the planet.. Tanning a skin for taxidermy purposes isn't that complicated.. That much I do know.. I've been successfully pulling it off for too long. If it was that complicated that wouldn't have happened..

9. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

There is enough information on salting and it's benefits archived on this web site to fill an entire encyclopedia.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

TIMBUCK, the keywords in your comments were "pulling it off". You do understand what "rawhide" means, don't you? I've seen roadkill skins covered with hair dried up hard enough to sail out into the trees. It doesn't mean I want to mount an animal like that. There have been people "pulling off" a lot of stunts that could change that tune. I see "boiling skulls", "microwaving pronghorns", USING BONDO AS AN ADHESIVE. How many posts do you see that say, "I tried that and ended up destroying my client's mount"? No one ever admits that the goatrope came back to bite them. We are only trying to EDUCATE you as to the reasons, many of which were discovered only after failures. We can't make you absorb that information, however, and can only hope that your luck holds out. But I'm old, set in my ways, arrogant, and mouthy. When I see bullship advice given, as long as my fingers work, I'm going to speak out.