1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stagnant Water

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jimmy Lawrence, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Member

Well said Pete! Short story.... I took a friend fishing and showed him a technique I developed to target a certain species. Everybody fished for this fish in 30 FOW and under. I showed him how to find them in 50+ FOW. Next time out he had everyone on the planet fishing where and how I showed him. I confronted him and his response was " I'm just helping my fellow fisherman have success?" Which definitely changed my success....Moral of the story? No more info for him!

Harum and Sotired like this.
  2. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Member

I too have been told I have no idea what I'm talking about (maybe I don't) BUT the same guys call me all the time asking If i'll sell them blanks....:mad:

Sotired likes this.

3. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

When you are self-taught like I am, you appreciate the kernels of wisdom granted to you over the years by more experienced craftsmen. My time with Henry Inchamuk (Wichers) and my time working at Jonas Brothers under Denny Behn were tremendous! A background in fine art helped as well. All of this served to help me think "out of the box" on methods.

Some of the old 'graybeards' on here have been ridiculously rude and insulting to comments made by myself and others, revealing personal issues. Insulting not only techniques, but posters personally for trying to learn or share. In what world is this helpful???

I am in competition with no one but myself, so I am the only one I have to please, (and I am my own worst critic!) I have no need to prove to anyone my credentials. If I offer advice, it is because I have done it and it works well for me. People I have mentored have gone on and become great artists, not by me, but by their own talent!

Sharing knowledge is a hallmark of civilization. It can then be expanded on, and improved by others with new eyes. If I mention something that I do successfully to someone,and they try it with a bad outcome, I'm sure that they will modify it to work out, or not, but they will think about it!

I prefer to think of us as a community of civilized people, helping each other to succeed with a few 'ornery cusses' in the mix. After all, it is a world, like any other.

~S

drwalleye, FishArt and 3bears like this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well said Soretired. It is unfortunate that it appears that some do claim other's ideas as their own but, just maybe they are. There likely aren't any ideas entirely original, most likely we all used parts of other's methods and reworked them to work for us. I for one can't remember where I learned many things originally but I'm certain that I have altered them to fit my needs or tendencies. I wouldn't think of claiming them as my original and publish them as such. I guess for me if someone uses methods that I relayed and ends up doing better work than me, not that it would be that difficult, I would probably be almost flattered and happy for them. Some of the folks that complain of the lack of quality out there aren't exactly chomping at the bit to help others to improve but, I do somewhat understand it. If everyone did work as good as they think they do, they may not have as much success, in business or competing.

Sotired likes this.
  5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not sure any idea is "original" today. The Neanderthals were doing taxidermy with far less. It with more imagination than the rank and file taxidermists of today. They were painting masterpieces on cave walls before Michelangelo was on scaffolds in the Sistine Chapel. I am shocked to see how Akeley brought elephant skins out of Africa on primitive steam ships, built armature with slats and chicken wire and still created masterpieces that can embarrass even some of our best using today's standards. The guy who invented the Xerox machine is forgotten and his name brand is simply a noun used by e every office worker in the world. You may think you invented a method and need the recognition, but your method will be remembered while you will be forgotten before your sun sets. Been there, done that.

3bears likes this.
  6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mudbat likes this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You gonna share some of that popcorn? Oh, wait this discussion has folks saying they don't share any longer. My bad.

8. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

EA and Mudbat like this.
  9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thank you.

10. Harum

Harum Active Member

George,

It comes as no surprise to see your comments. You have posted that statement in one way or another many times before. Unfortunately that finite perspective on things is not how a person comes up with new or innovative techniques. A person needs to be open to the many possibilities that present themselves. Being open minded is the most effective way to come up with innovative ideas. Consider this, humanity has come a long way since the cave drawings. Humanity has come up with an incredible amount of new materials for an artist to utilize. It would stand to reason that with new materials there would also be new techniques. With that said, I wouldn’t expect to change your opinion on the matter and I’m perfectly ok with that.

I’ve made my statement as to why I no longer share ideas on here. People can read into it however they want. I know what went down for me. It is unfortunate to hear that some of the same has happened to others but, not surprising.

-Pete

11. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Pete your correct here cause those who don’t know you think you know crap cause you don’t have a classy name in the industry! Nothing wrong with that but folks never take the time out to see who you are! Now saying that if you had a well known name in the industry, it would be like WOW great think Pete and it’s true but sad to say . It doesn’t matter how you get there, it’s great they arrived.
    There are so many techniques in today’s world what you like may work for you but maybe not for everyone. Sometimes just try something different and you might be surprised.
    I’m constantly trying new stuff, paint this way or that way use this product or that etc etc.
    I was just at a show and I explained my way of doing things and I hear but the last guy said you have to use these high tech equipment to achieve what your doing on cheap stuff. The thing is this works for me and you don’t need all high technology to get you there. Just because I may not like it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it.
    Plus folks those who complain a lot on being told stuff they don’t like should think a little. I’ve been there enough of times and been accused many times but remember it’s words that are written and you , yourself may be reading in between the lines way to much and took it to deep. I’ve been there and once that person realizes what is really being said generally does a 180. So don’t take everything you read to heart. Most of the time, its going to be you with the issues.
    Ps don’t worry I have plenty of issues!!!

Harum and Sotired like this.
  12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Pete, I know your last post was addressing George but will you answer a question for me? Do you mean to say that your methods and techniques are not an accumulation of what you have learned from others and not just taxidermists? Have some of those same techniques come about via discussing the topics with others?
    I don't know you or your work but I get the impression that somebody did wrong by you and caused you to stop sharing but just maybe new and improved techniques can be achieved quicker by sharing with others, not only can it advance the craft/trade as a whole but also may improve your own work.

Sotired likes this.
  13. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Talented folks posting because talented folks don't post here anymore.

Reminds me of Yogi, "It's so crowded no one goes there anymore"

14. Harum

Harum Active Member

I suppose a person could see it that way Frank, Thanks for the words.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  15. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Just messing with you guys.
    I miss the gang too. Too many to name have faded away...BG doesn't even post anymore. Hope he is well. My own posting is down. I'm just too busy right now. That's why I'm doing a drive by at 12:30 in the morning. Hopefully they'll cycle back someday.