1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull mount help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by west tn, Dec 12, 2017.

1. west tn

west tn New Member

I live in West Tn and am thinking of starting to do skull mounts and the dipping in paint as an option. For the quickest turn around I had thought about getting a large crock pot to simmer the skull in but I am concerned about degreasing it. Is there something that needs to be added to the water before doing this or is this a bad idea altogether. When it comes out is it best to soak in peroxide and what else do I do for a plain white skull mount. If I am dipping in paint there is no need to whiten correct?

Also if I want to use Maceration do I just clean all I can as far as skin and eyes and then place in water preferably with a heater and let sit for 5-7 days. This sounds like the best method right?

2. i used a propane outdoor cooker like the one for fried turkeys, In 8 hours I could do 4 heads a day,, to whiten I used 40 volume cream developer from a hair salon supply, Maseration takes way more then 7 days, and can be dangerous, it creates flesh eating bacteria, if you get that water in a cut or eyes, mouth when working with it you could be in some serious trouble with infection, and it stinks,,when simmering in a pot the greese automaticly comes out, just let them dry for a week before you do any paint dipping,

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Maceration of a deer head takes about a week if you trim it correctly. That means removing all the flesh you can, eyes, brain .. the works. Has to be heated to 80 to 90 24/7 for it to work. Plenty of posts on here with photos and details. If the water isn't going to be heated, don't bother. Hair salon cream developer is a cream because it has oil in it. If you are starting out, get the 40 VOL clear. It is 12% peroxide. As for dangers, everything we work with is dangerous. That 12% peroxide will permanently blind you if you splash any of it into your eyes. It can also start a fire if you spill it on wood or get any metal into it other that stainless steel. You use precautions and common sense. Maceration does stink, no post has ever said that it did not. But, if you are painting your skulls you are not turning out a quality product. Paint all you want, but if there is grease in that skull, in a few years it comes to the surface under the paint, bubbles the paint, discolors it and it looks like hell. If you are going to degrease them .. then whitening takes little effort and no paint is ever needed. Yes, maceration takes some time but it is easy enough to tell your customers that there is a wait time. Beetling a skull clean and finishing it also takes time. It all boils down to what sort of finished product you want to put your name on.

4. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

By "paint" he means hydrodip in spraypaint..
    I've done a bunch like that..
    I use the buck boiler out of cabelas.. once clean, and meat free after 2- 3 days of heating and picking meat, you can add a bunch of dawn and simmer it another day in dawn (I change the water once or twice a day depending how bad it is)

Hang to dry, glue loose bones and teeth back in, then spray dip.

I only do this on my personal skulls.. all customer skulls bet beetle cleaned by my beetle guy.l and dipped by a professional hydrographic guy.
    I am going to offer spraypaint dipping if desired, but the results are lumpy sometimes. And the customer should be aware. It's a lot cheaper tho.. and a lot of guys like to save $ -so why not offer both options ..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I did a few for myself.. I like the added color to the showroom wall..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk