1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with antelope horns please

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drwalleye, Dec 17, 2017.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I'm trying to rot off horns in my basement in a triple bag but smell is coming through.i tried to get them off yesterday but didn't work. Can I put them on simmering water for a bit I thought I heard of that. The smell is taking over and it's winter outside. Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have done that before and it worked out fine.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I steam them off, but you have to pay close attention and don't leave in too long.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

lJust step on the skull plate and instead of PULLING the horn cases off, TWIST them back and forth.

5. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Well I had them rotting for a week I simmed them each side for 5 minutes and they popped right off thanks everyone. George you do rot them first right ? you don't do this with your foot and Pop them fresh do you?

6. George

I rot them but if they are late season antelope, they sometimes WILL pop off like that.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I have always stuck mine in the microwave in 15 sec increments and popped them off. Never had a problem with pronghorn.

8. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Thanks here in Wisconsin I don't see many but I will try to pop them like that. I do try alot of weird things around the house but if my wife found a antelope skull in her microwave I may get dead. Lol

9. kburg0809

kburg0809 New Member

Microwave trick works really good. Done it on a few of them and I'd highly recommend it

10. hktteng

hktteng New Member

I drill two small 1/8" aligning holes in the back of the horns to re-align later to get the exact same horn set then Simmer 5-10 minutes and twist and pull should pop off fairly easily. done it for years no issues.

11. George

Microwaving can destroy pronghorn horns. 15 seconds may not hurt but were talking TAXIDERMISTS. If 15 we ones doesn't get it, let's try another 15 or 20 or 30. These are not true horns. Like rhinoceros. They are made of hair. Microwaves heat the center of the core, boiling the water inside. The steam can balloon and rupture a horn case. There's absolutely NO reason to be in that big a hurry.

12. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Ruin your microwave from the stench and your horns in one step.

Been there and done that.

Simmer or let them rot.