1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer throat slit

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Marvtaxidermy, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy Member

Just skinned out deer that had a 3 to 4 in cut on throat. When he dropped it off never said a word about it. What is best techiaue to handle this. Cut out the part that has cut hair and sew up? Most hunters know that this is one of the worst things they can do but some of the old timers still want to do this.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

If the cut is vertical, should sew up no problem, Cut horizontal and might have cut hairs, you answered your own question there.. My father was old school the same way with cutting the throat, works on live farm animals to bleed out but does nothing on dead critters.

3. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

You should be charging extra for those cuts! I inspect the capes while the customer is there, unless its frozen in a bag, in which case I will call them after its thawed and looked over. If it's not doable with good results you should offer to sell him a cape. I wouldn't waste my time with a problem cape with results that the client may not be happy with!

Attached Files:

4. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Socalmountainman, a little off the subject, but where did you get the tray that the cape is lying on? Thats exactly what I have been trying to find. Is it plastic??

5. GregJ

GregJ Active Member

mopsrdrawer67, you can get different size plastic trays here:
    https://www.chewy.com/frisco-dog-crate-replacement-pan-30/dp/117382?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Frisco&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxa-GpYKV2AIV17bACh3ruA1gEAQYAyABEgJzHfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

6. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

GregJ, thank you! Checked it out and ordered a couple of them.

7. socalmountainman

That's exactly what it is! Stole it from our large crate after our lab passed (RIP Bingo)!

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have successfully repaired horizontal throat cuts on deer before. Long haired from November.

9. socalmountainman

...so have I, I just get extra $$$$$ for it!

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yep, you have to be compensated well, when working miracles for such persons.