1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Brush on vs pressure tanner

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bluff top taxidermy, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Currently use brush on tan, works out pretty nice, what are the pros and cons of using a pressure tanner compared to a brush on tan? Quite a few people swear by the pressure tanner

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Let me ask you a question: If the pressure tanner was such a phenomenal idea, don't you think commercial tanneries would be flocking to it? IN MY OPINION, it's a risky investment at best and just a midway step between brush on's and a commercially tanned cape. No one ever had an ugly baby. If you have one, you'll swear it's beautiful. Pressure tanner owners are the same way.

3. That's exactly what I've asked pressure tanner owners George, actually just brought that up to a guy last night and asked why no tanneries use them. Just trying to get some pros and cons, there must be some cons if tanneries don't use them

4. It's been proven the pressure doesn't do anything but seal the door. Check out wet drum tanners.

5. I do about 150 deer a year so looking for something to speed up the process without losing quality.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The pressure tanner's ability to speed up tanning processes is due to constant AGITATION and NOT pressurization.

7. In a way, tanneries do use a similar process as the auto tanner with their paddle vats. Agitation with paddles or agitation in a tank. And yes George, I use an auto tanner. Bought one from Steve R. when they first came out.

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

yes and then Steve came back and said nope it's no pressure but agitation that speeds up the process.

with that being said he made a whole new system for the home tanner who wants to speed up there tanning just a waterproof container on rollers and yep tanneries have them.

Been doing static tanning over 17 years and I still have no reason for this but that's personal. If your working hours need you to have this then look up Steve on here

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thanks Frank. I would have said that, but Steve has beaten me up over saying that some years back. The telling was when he admitted, as I'd Saud, that pressure would NOT have any effects on the process. A bird tumbler with tanning salts could do the same thing. Back when i began eons ago, my job was to take a boat paddle and stir the hides in the tanning vat 4 times a day.