1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer hair loss patch on hide?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Marvtaxidermy, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy New Member

Put deer cape on form and a patch of hair about 2 x 3 inch missing on both sides of brisket. Close, but could not get it off of the form. Was able to fold skin and make go away, but there is no noticeable hair slippage any place else on cape. How did this happen? Think it came from the field like this? When I got it in was frozen in trash bag so could not check it closely.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Most likely, shoddy field care. Frozen in a black trash bag should always send up flags. WHEN was it put in the bag and how soon after was it frozen. I've seen raw capes taken off, thrown in a trash bag and then set in a pickup for a day before showing up here. You may as well have put it in an oven

3. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy New Member

Thanks, guess I'll learn to look over after first thawed out.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Most of the damage on the brisket, which is prevalent on a lot of bucks in my area, are from running, jumping through and over briers, fences and tic damage. I get deer in with shaved off hair and actual bald spots on 10-15% of bucks that come in in that area.

5. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

That was my thought, too, Paul B
    I mounted a deer last year that was so bald we had to use habitat to subtly hide it.
    It was "everyday wear and tear"... lol
    I pointed it out to the customer when he brought it in fresh. He never noticed it until I pointed it out.
    There's varying degrees of it from deer to deer... just my humble thought on the matter

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Saw the mannikin off where you run out of hair and install a new backboard if you want to salvage it.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Then you have a neck mount. Its usually on one or both sides on the base of the neck where the hair has the curl just above the armpits.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

NO, PAUL, YOU DON'T. I've done what Joey says dozens of times. Most of you have no clue as to what a "neck mount" looked like. Today's manikins are over-exaggerated brisket areas. Though I despise them, Revolution with its leg "peckers" is more true to anatomy and if other forms took that seriously, all shoulder mounts would have leg sumps. You can cut almost 4 inches off the back of a form, replace that backboard and mount the hide with it STILL looking like a shoulder mount. In actuality, that's exactly what it is.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Very little of the brisket and not a whole lot of arm pit was present in the shoulder forms I used in the late 80's and early 90's.