1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing Touch

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GSPmutt, Oct 15, 2006.

1. I'm second guessing myself and figured I'd get some opinions.

What would you do to the gray foam behind this bird to finish it off?

[​IMG]

2. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

It all depends on what you are looking for in the finished product. I personally would get rid of it and attach to a piece of driftwood. To much added to a mount will take away from your mount. The main focus should be the bird, not a hanging habitat. It's just to much. That's my opinion.
    And the bird looks pretty good to.

3. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Hi Larry,

Personally, I would move the large grasses to the other side of the mount, behind the upper wing. This would start your eye at that point, and follow a diagonal down towards the birds bill. I also might choose a different color grass.. the color chosen matches too closely the color of the panel and the brain is seeing this as a large mass verses a seperate entity.

As far as the covering, I would us a small pebble mix lighter in color than the panel so as to once agian, seperate it from the back panel. I would use something larger than sand.. probalby aquarium rock size.. only not so polished..

I definately agree with Jim on not overpowering a mount with outlandish habitat, but I think if this peice were rethought a little that wouldn't be an issue.

Good Gaddy too!..
    Jon~

4. Thanks guys, it's not the greatest specimen, but it was a 9 year old girls first ever duck, so I'm trying to jazz it up a bit more for her. Not sure if anyone noticed but it has a chunk of bill missing, looked like a turtle bite, and they wanted that look reproduced on the artifical bill, i just used the dremel to replicate the damage.

5. Larry,

I would try to make the warm color wood and the foam disappear. Maybe a neutral tone, gray or medium brown, fleckstone paint. As for the grass. If you are going to do it, then do it. That grass looks like left overs from some project gone by. I like the position of the grass, but it just stops. See if you can get some grass that will curve out, up and over the duck just over the height of the upper wing. Allow the grass to frame the duck in the picture. That will give you a compact area for the eye and the curve will draw the eye in to the duck.
    Try something like this