1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Piping Hornbill help

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by lizzimm, Dec 23, 2017.

1. I have a piping Hornbill skin but no eye or body measurements. I am going to just guesstimate the body but does anyone know the eye size of these things? I think I have 12 and 13mm and under at home but wanted to make sure I didn’t need bigger eyes that I would have to order before I got started. Any other tips are welcome - I’m pretty new at this. Thanks!!

2. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

A little research yielded some size measurements. It appears the total length with tail is ~ 20 inches (45-50cm) so it should be about the size of a small crow for the body. Just looking at the photos, it appears their eyes (dark brown) would be in the 8-9mm range. Piping Hornbills are approximately the same size as an African Grey Hornbill, for which an 8mm eye size is recommended.

3. Thank you!! I ended up finding some stuff too. The largest eyes I have are 9 so I ordered some 10s just in case then i’ll play around with it. Thanks again.