1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wood Duck neck?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KB, Aug 2, 2007.

1. KB

KB New Member

I; being the novice that I am, didn't take any measurements of the neck when I skinned him out, what is the normal neck diameter of a woody drake? do you all prefer the grey foam necking? or the white necking with the muscle already detailed in? thanks.

**its a cory curuthers body by the way, and a matuska head.

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

On commercial mounts, I use 3/4" foam necking. If my recollection is correct, woddie necks are usually around 5.5" long.

On a competition type mount, I use 1/2" foam and glue a piece of 1/4" foam as a trachea.

3. I will agree with James, I use the same type of foam necking material. then use 1/4 in foam as the trachea. I tend to wrap just enough to keep the two together, not building up to much. Alot of the supplier catalogs have reference numbers that tells you what size to use. After you do alot more, you'll just know what to use. Any other questions send me an email or call me.. 205 790 3449, have it with me 24/7. Just dont call after 8 at night. Baby is sleeping.. Josh

4. wood duck drake necks are around 4 inches long.for flyers go 4 1/2 and standing birds use 4. i use the 1/2 in dia. foam and 1/4 in dia trach.

5. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

According to my reference I agree with James, an average woodie neck is 5.5 inches long and this length remains the same whether for a flying, standing, tight tucked head or stretched out alert. I personally like wrapping all of my birds necks as the foam neck material can do strange things when put into a tight twist like for a resting bird with a tight tuck to the head, but yes the neck is also around 3/4 of an inch in diameter total. Good luck Mark

6. igor

igor New Member

I like to do necks with rope wrapped around wire and fixed with hot glue.

7. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

To fix the kinking of foam neck material in tight bends, use a scalpel to make relief cuts. Works great!