1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Ezell12, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Ezell12

Ezell12 New Member

I have a deer hide that a guy wants to have for a throw rug. It has a hole in it about 2 inches you can see it in the picture. Its been fleshed, salted and about to be put in the pickle. My question is when i go to finish it up i want to sew up the hole, what is the best needle, best thread, and the best method of sewing up the hole. Thanks yall.

Attached Files:

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Any needle, thread, or stitch will work fine....

But I would use a small 3pt needle, and 35lb test power pro fishing line and a whip stitch..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

woakley144 likes this.

3. Ezell12

Ezell12 New Member

Thanks man, Ive never had to sew up a hide before so i wanted to get some advice on what the best thread and everything were.

4. JuJu Bee

JuJu Bee New Member

We do the same chisel pt needle but use 10-20 lb Fireline and a baseball stitch....as long as it is together and unseen it really doesn`t matter how you get there. We sew after tan prior to oiling...cut a football shaped hole around the hole and have at it.

5. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

any 3 pt needle will work and a good thread just cut the hole to a football shape so the hair and hide won't bunch up .

6. Ezell12

Ezell12 New Member

When you say a football shaped hole, what do you mean?

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A round hole will not sew well and it will pucker. If you elongate the hole on each side, so it is in the shape of a football or long oval shape, it will sew without puckering.

8. Ezell12

Ezell12 New Member

ok I gotcha. So Just cut on each side of the cut until it looks like a football and than i will be able to sew it up without the hide puckering up right.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Pretty much.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Oh, it's going to pucker. You just have to stretch the hide when it's dam until that pucker spreads out over a wider area and becomes unnoticeable.

11. Ezell12

Ezell12 New Member

ok so sew it up after the pickle and before stretching it out right? and what gauge needle is normally used?

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

As small as you can with as strong a thread as you can. I use 10 pound Fireline and a very small needle.

13. Ezell12

Ezell12 New Member

George: So would you say a #3 needle would be to big. I was told that a #3 was what i should use. But i will take the word over a seasoned taxidermist over someone whos only been doing it for like a month. So like just a small needle and than fishing line? I never thought about fishing line ive heard of thread but fishing line sounds like it would be stronger. what kinda stitch would you recommend?

14. verne

verne Well-Known Member

If not shaved down thin in that area ; have fun sewing with a small needle . ;D

15. Ezell12

Ezell12 New Member

Ok well i do not have the ability to shave down a hide. I have never done it and I have always just tanned and stretched that's all and they have turned out really nice. So with that being said a #3 needle should work fine than.

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have sewn holes with 4" long 2 sided needle with bow string, 2" round needle with dental floss and a 1" 3 sided needle with braided fishing line. I prefer the later, however, my point is, just grab a needle and some braided fishing line, it can be 10 pound test or 50 pound test, or anything in between and sew it up. If you don't like how it is turning out, cut the thread and try something else until it is how you want it. I have stitched it a whip stitch, baseball stitch and hidden or upholsters stitch. They all seemed to work. I prefer the whip stitch usually.

17. Will85

Will85 New Member

How about if your deer hide is already tanned and stretched? I sewed up a hole in one last night with a whip stitch and it is puckering a lot. I made sure it was a football shape before sewing as well.

18. Jim Taxidermist

Jim Taxidermist Active Member

Hi Will, i use a lock stitch your going to get some puckering, But! here is what i do try to find out where the hole is going to lay on the mannikin then mark the area on the form dig out a little pocket test fit the hole to see how it lays over and take some clay and put some in the pocket of the form and press the skin over the hole on the form until it feels smooth and your puckering is gone and now you don't even feel it anymore. Make sure you put some carding overit until it drys. Good Luck. Jim Taxidermist

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  19. Will85

Will85 New Member

Jim, thank you for the direction. I tried what you said and it worked well. Since it was fully dry, it still puckered. I then went around each stitched hole with water and stretched the hide. Could hardly see any puckering whatsoever, after that!

woakley144 likes this.
  20. Jim Taxidermist

Jim Taxidermist Active Member

Will, I'm glad it worked out for you and when ever you sew up the back incision or and thing remember to always cut out a slot in the form and fill it with clay and use your hand to press it down and card it and you will not ever feel the stitches good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your family . Jim Taxidermist