1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

AVES CRITTER CLAY

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BowDeadly, Dec 24, 2017.

1. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

Been a critter clay user for 30 years and now that it is a REDICULOUS price 50.00 plus dollars for 25 pounds, TIME TO CHANGE. I want to stick with clay with low shrinkage. What clays do you suggest ? Thank you for any help.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Look into Dakota Modeling clay from Van Dyke's.

socalmountainman likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just suck it up Earl. I've tried all the others. I limit my usage of Critter Clay strictly to the eyes, lachrymal gland and bottom lip. For all other uses, I use the wetted potters clay from McKenzie.

LordRusty likes this.
  4. BowDeadly

Thanks guys , I started searching the net. Found about 20 different potters clay any where's from $25.00 to $45.00 for 25 pounds 12.00 shipping. Punched in the higher priced clay, same name on Goggle and damn , same clay, free shipping, 25 pounds & only 14.99. I'm set now, I will still use Critter for my eyes. Go to Walmart on line, punch in clay, they have a good price on air dried clay 25 POUNDS 21.95 FREE SHIPPING.
    Merry Christmas All and Thanks again.

5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Have others had a problem with critter clay going moldy? The last couple years I have had this issue. Never had it before. I freeze it now in small quantities and defrost as needed.

6. BowDeadly

I bought 3 25 lb blocks last year. I froze two. brought one out to thaw. By weeks end it was covered with MOLD. Cut away the mold sealed it up and two days later mold again. Never had that happen in all the years using it.

7. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Someone told me a long time ago to throw a capful of Lysol disinfectant into the critter clay bag to keep it from molding.
    I never did..
    Mine gets moldy I just scrap it clean off the surface emif it sits long periods of time..
    Usually the bottom I guess that isnt getting light.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

Has same problem with the last few batches however the simple solution was to keep it in the refrigerator, no longer have mold issues.

agua3777 likes this.
  9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

There is no substitute for Critter Clay! I use such a small quantity of it on gameheads that it is basically free! We probably use less than 25 lbs annually on the hundreds of mounts that we do.

10. BowDeadly

I'm going to cut mine down to 5 pound blocks, vacuum seal it and in to the fridge.

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I bought a 25 pound block from Ohio taxi supply, nice product, doesn't dry out in bag so its easy to grab a handful down the road. Dries like a rock and was pretty reasonable.

12. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

I was wondering the same thing about the mold issue on the critter clay. Mine is doing the same thing. Don't remember having issues before. I do my work in my basement and thought maybe that was the problem but it appears that it's not that. Will have to just try keeping it in the fridge I guess

13. I've used it for years never had a problem with mold. I keep it in my shop refrigerator between uses.

14. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Call Aves and see if they have any seconds. Like George, I only use it on the trouble areas. Potter’s clay from Hobby Lobby for everything else.

15. BowDeadly

Paul
    Like I said been using it for 30+ years an every other year the price creeps up & up. Kinda the last straw was 56.00 for 25 pounds and 16.00 shipping $72.00 for 25 pounds of clay is no longer reasonable. I always bought their seconds, I will now only use it for around eyes etc. only. I just received potters clay from Walmart for my ear butts. worked fine and for 14.99 for 25 pounds free shipping I just ordered 3 more. Vacuum sealing in 5 pound blocks and storing in the fridge is so far perfect.
    Reminds me of Buckeye hide paste, it has now doubled in price and all the copy cats instead of lowering the price they keep it the same. I think I remember $79.00 for 5 gallons now it's $164.99 + about $20.00 shipping, it just never ends. I can see why guy's charge 600.00 / 700.00 for a deer head.

16. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

Earl

You have a product number or link from Walmart on the potters clay ? I looked and cant find anything you mentioned

17. BowDeadly

WOW, I just looked at the invoice 14.99 changed to 21.99 product number 1277022 still free shipping. I'm going to look it up again.

18. BowDeadly

OK my mistake, last minutes change to grey and it's 8.00 more. White will work just fine for ear butts I'm thinking . I just ordered a white 25lb block, 14.99 free shipping.

Product - AMACO AIR DRY CLAY WHITE 25 LB
    Reduced Price
    Product Image
    AMACO AIR DRY CLAY WHITE 25 LB
    Product Variants Selector
    PriceList $16.99Save$2.55
    $14.44
    Product TitleAMACO AIR DRY CLAY WHITE 25 LB
    Average rating:3.8out of5stars, based on5reviews(5)ratings
    Sold & Shipped by School Specialty
    FREE SHIPPING

19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I buy potters clay from a local ceramic supplier...$24 for a 50 lb box. We use about 300# annually.

20. BowDeadly

Well the clay I bought didn't go over so well. Sticky crap got all over my gloves and hands, a real major mess, like glue. You couldn't work with it at all, wouldn't roll up, push on it and the clay staid on your gloves or hands. I actually trashed it after thinking it might change after sitting around, wrong, still a sticky mess. I'll eat the cost of the expensive critter clay, won't put up with that ordeal again.