1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Maceration question

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by west tn, Dec 25, 2017.

1. west tn

west tn New Member

Thoughts on a chest type freezer and setting buckets in them with the heads in those to cut down on the smell. Does it need to have a vent in those or not and would anheater help along with heater in buckets? Am I overthinking it?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Possibly not. Are you going to be doing antlered heads? If so, they will sometimes get moldy but that should wipe right off. A vent will let in insects when they are about. If you have a large enough enclosure, all you have to do is heat the interior of that enclosure. Any containers inside will all be at that temperature. I believe Joey M has a wonderful setup with an old, walk in type freezer.

3. west tn

west tn New Member

Yes antlered

4. Team Realtree

Team Realtree New Member

I just started my first maceration on an antlered head. When the top of my freezer is closed, water builds up inside so beware. I haven't come up with a way to remove the water in the bottom of the freezer!

5. I drilled a hole in the floor with a hole saw, inserted a pvc pipe and caulked with silicon to keep in place. Used old chest cooler pan for drain pain underneath. Just used a rubber tub stopper with a long wood screw into it so easy to remove and replace. I pull the 3 five gallon buckets anyways to change out the slop and squeegee the bottom to the drain. Easy peasy

Team Realtree likes this.