1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dirty Mountain Goat?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Keith. C, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Ok I did a search and could not find anything on the subject, I have a Mt Goat to do (Lifesize) it came back from the tannery very yellow...just dirty looking in alot of areas ..any way I can whiten or clean?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Keith, it's all in there someplace. I suspect it's under "Bleaching Dall Sheep" or "Bleaching sheep". Don't forget the conditioner.

3. Ok I give!!!! I looked I can find it???? I was told to go to the Hair supply place get some Basic White and 40% Vol Cream Peroxide mix together brush on let sit for 40 mins then rins and wash with a good shampo and conditioner....does this sound right?

Suelyn likes this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Damn this new site. I can't find it either. Here's what I do.

I buy a gallon of 40 Volume gel and a can of Basic White. I mix on quart of peroxide with 5 heaping scoops of Basic White. I hose the goat down and squeegee off the excess water. Then I pour the mix right in the middle and with rubber gloves, move it all over the hide. If I run out, I mix another batch and continue until the entire hide is covered. I only let it set 20 minutes. If the stain isn't deep seated, that's plenty time and it won't damage the hair needlessly. After 20 minutes, I hose it all off. Look at your hide. If it's clean and shiny white, stop. If not, repeat the process ONE TIME only. Too much bleach will make the hair very brittle.

When you've hosed off the peroxide, I usually pour 1/2 gallon of cheap hair conditioner on the hide and, again, get down and rub it on all areas of the hide. This will insure that all the hairs get treated and will make a HUGE difference when grooming later. After about 20 minutes, rinse all the conditioner off and spin dry your hide.

After you mount it, start at the head and the beard back brushing and blow drying. You'll immediately see that the conditioner makes the longer guard hairs stand while the fluffy wool will puff up around each one. As you work down the back, the hump will show your greatest reward of conditioning.

ice and Suelyn like this.
  5. Cool Thanks George...I wasn't to far off LOL, I was going to mount it up then do the bleaching and conditioner..but your way sounds a hell of alot better than trying to blow water off the mount then blow dry....was going to use the leaf blower I seen you mention one day :) but washer on spin cycle even sounds better.

6. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I'll second that. I tried that recently, after one of George's posts a while ago about it, on a very long haired & matted angora x.
    I laid the hide out flat, poured on a load of the conditioner, rinsed off the conditioner with a strong blast from the hose then spun it in the washing machine.
    I could not get over how easy and 'hair free' the comb went through the hair. (not to mention the nice smell).
    Great tip George.

7. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

Keith I know of a tannery in BC that get this powder from research , add water the skin over night comes out White , I've never used it , but he said it works very good , does not burn the hair , but it is expensive , I use magnesium carbonate and 50 % peroxide , did a life size dall ( not a texas dall ) a real dall sheep with blood trapped in that skin dry salted for 8 years , I bleached it 3 times , never burnt the skin and got all the blood out , but if you don't know how to use this , you can have problems , all skins are different , if you use this method , you have to make a very thick paste out of it , rub it on the fur , do not let in get to the skin , let it for aprx 20 minutes , rinse with cold water , take it out side and blast it off with the hose , rinse it out really good , you have to neutralize the peroxide. let it dry , if still to yellow do it again , do not leave solution on more then 20 minutes , you will burn the hair .
    Still unsure you can call me 705-476-0483

8. Laurier I appriciate the info and if I need any help I'll give you a ring....but I think I have it under control now.

Thanks Again.

9. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

if you use my method be very careful not to let the peroxide get to the leather , it will burn it . this is why you have to make it a very thick paste.

10. I spilled black paint on one once then tried to wipe it off what a mess. I thought my taxidermy career was over. Then I grabbed my wife's oxy clean. That took It all out and cleaned the fur whiter. You could give It a try.

11. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I have used oxy clean on snowshoe hares before. You can buy a big bucket of the stuff as sams club or cosco's, Mixed it up, soaked the bloodstained rabit in there for about 20 minutes and came out nice and white. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it on a mountain goat cape or life-size for that matter.

12. Thanks guys...I am just about done with the rocks that the goat will be on and will be starting him soon.

13. Suelyn

Suelyn New Member

George, I've followed your directions but can't quite get the formula down but in this context here - I read now, you added a developer as well, i hadn't seen that un the other post..... I'm getting my butt whopped

14. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Not a fan of bleaching, just mounted this one, shampooed that's all.

Attached Files:

Suelyn likes this.