1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

At Cecil

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pikeonthefly, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

I hope everyone had Merry Christmas and Have a Happy New Year! I just wanted to check in with you in regards to your fish. My computer went down and my emails are messed up so I wanted to make sure I haven't missed one from you. Thanks!

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Anything specifically? Did you send me an email and I didn't reply or are you just asking what's available in frozen fish? Or something else?

I'm hoping I will have a mink for sale soon! Bastard keeps outsmarting me. Chewed his way out of a live trap and left a little fur! *&^%$!

[​IMG]

3. Pikeonthefly

Ha! They can be really sneaky! Awhile back you had mentioned that you would be selling some of your Tiger and Brookie stock. I replied and said I was interested and you told me to send you my email address which I did. My computer went to pot overnight so I am using another one and a different site to pick up my emails and they don't have a junk file that I can see so I was afraid you may have tried to contact me and I did not see it. Its no problem if they aren't ready I just didn't want you to think I was a dead beat and said I would buy some from you and then run when you offered. Thank you!

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Pikeonafly,

Understood. No worries I have you down.

May is the earliest I will have some for sale. Hopefully they will grow as anticipated. No feeding or growing presently. Pond is ice covered and it's -6 F.

5. Pikeonthefly

Thank you Cecil! Its hard t imagine the weather in the rest of the country. Here in Colorado we have yet to have any significant snowfall in my area and by that I mean more than 2". We have had a couple days here around the zero mark but there are some larger bodies of water that are still better than half open. Ice isn't really safe yet for fishing. Minus 6 sounds pretty cold! Are your ponds pretty deep?

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ponds are not the deep but in the 2 out of 4 ponds I have fish in I run a small compressor and diffuser to keep a little water open, which is a safeguard against winter kill especially f the snow on the ice gets deep.

I feed the trout in the open water created by the diffuser every few days.

7. Pikeonthefly

That sounds pretty cool. I built a water feature last year. It has a upper waterfall that drains into small pond maybe 7x8 and is fairly shallow but then it goes over another larger fall and into a 2' deep pond about 10x10. I wanted to put trout in there but went with Koi for now. I brought them inside for the winter and I may leave them out next year as they will be a lot bigger. I bought a bubbler as an extra oxygen source as a precaution and its pretty cool because its solar powered. Works great!

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It's amazing how little movement of water it takes to keep it from freezing. Or how well snow insulates to keep a water layer under it one top of ice.

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Try -23 like it is here. Hang a mount outside and freezedried in a couple of days. lol

10. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

So sorry guys, 70 today, 55 last night! Hardly know it's January! 8)

~S

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Bite me! :)

Actually I don't mind winter and actually prefer lots of snow. Here in Indiana we get half ass snow of a 1/2 inch to 2 inches with the cold. I can remember my days in Massachusetts as a kid where we got big snowstorms to make winter interesting.