1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

stop rot ?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Slate Run, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Have never used stop rot but I have a coyote and fox in freezer that needs turned and fleshed for tanning as a wall hanger. Would you suggest applying stop rot once thawed before I start the fleshing and turning process? If so once applied how long should I wait before turning and fleshing? I know canines can get iffy if not handled properly. Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I spray the ears of thin skinned critters, while still frozen. Those ears are the first thing to thaw. I then spray them again before I work on them. I try to stay ahead of any slipping issues.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

X2

I spray them as soon as I received the critter before it goes into the freezer and immediately after it comes out and sometimes while I am skinning (I am definitely not the fastest skinner!). I have been lucky so far and only lost one fox ear so does stop rot work? I have no way to prove it but I am thinking it does.

Speaking of Stop Rot, has anyone tried the Stop Rot substitute "SAVZ-IT" from TASCO? (Page 63 of the latest catalog) Catalog number SI-652

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Nailed it.

5. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I have a bottle but never used it on any furbearers and never had an issue..
    I sometimes use it if a cape has not been frozen in several days and has a slight odor when it arrives.
    In that case I flesh the skin, then spray the fleshed skin, and let it sit for a half hour, then I salt and hang to drip .
    I'm not really sure if I'm even using it correctly to be honest.. I don't have many issues tho.
    I use the wildlife gallery as a tannery and I admit sometimes I get some loose hair on deer capes, but it all sets tight and it's only on a few capes usually around a wound or on a cape that came from out of state which I'm sure was several days before skinning..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6. Bingo!