1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Most common Fish mounted per state

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Lance.G, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

Just for fun I was curious to here what the most common fish you skin mount for customers, and your state. Also what is the most common reproduction for your state.
    Here in VA the LMB is king for skin mounts and reproductions.

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Nj rainbow trout

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

When I lived in Kansas 1974-1986 the most common skin mount was definitely largemouth bass.

I have lived in Arizona since 1990 and the most common reproduction is definitely the trout species.

:)

Kerby...

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

varies for me , could be browns bows or palominos but mainly cold water fish

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Largemouth bass. People catch them every day of the year here. 90% of all fish we mount are LMB.

6. North dakota would be walleye

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

SC
    Largemouth and Crappie

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

A mix for me as far as skin mounts. Northern pike, bluegill, crappie, walleye and smallmouth largemouth bass. Not a lot of coldwater fish. Some years I do more of one species than others.

No preponderance of one species for replicas either.

9. Largemouth bass do,not see hardly any cold water here.

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    My answer is the same as Cecil's

11. jerryn

jerryn Member

South Dakota is walleye

12. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

Appreciate y'all participating

13. SM Bass LM Bass skin mounts and Stripes for repos here in East TN

14. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

In my area I take in crappies, largemouth and smallmouth, bluegill, a few pike and musky, steelhead and salmon, though not as many coldwater fish as I would like. Reproductions make up 15-20 percent. I advertise repros but most folks show up at my door with their fish in hand.

15. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Id say its 85% cold water species here for me in Maine. 10% Warmwater 5% Saltwater

16. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

80% of my fish work comes from out of state. Most of them waaaaaaaay out of state. I do a ton of largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, crappie, and bluegill . With a half dozen trout/salmon sprinkled in. One or two saltwater fish a year maybe.

But predominately Largemouth Bass.

Also , 80% or more of my work, probably closer to 90% of my work are replicas. Be that custom molds/casts or purchased casts, but most of them are replicas. I structure my price to get more replicas versus skins.

17. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Here in NH I get a mixed bag of bass and cold water fish. Both large mouth and small mouth bass now dominate but being close to Lake Ontario ( six hour drive ) I get some of those salmon and trout. Being only an hour away from the ocean striped bass are a popular mount and I mostly do these as reproductions. Favorite to mount are BIG lobsters as I get to eat them as well as mount them. Largest lobster so far was a 24 pounder I mounted a sold to a retired lobsterman in Massachusetts.