1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shipping a bird

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Beretta12, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Beretta12

Beretta12 New Member

I have a pair of ducks I’d like to get mounted and I’m looking for taxidermists in or near WV. If I’m unable to find one I’m thinking of going the route of shipping it off.

From reading websites like birdman studios it doesn’t seem like Shipping them o the taxidermist is that big of a deal as long as their froze and then express shipped. My concern is on the return shipping.

Do you all see many mounts get damaged from shipping? Is the shipping route something I should avoid? I’ll spend the money for a quality mount but I’d hate to then have it damaged by the shipper (usps, fedex, ups, etc).

2. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

Shipping a bird frozen to just about anywhere in the US is not an issue.... Ship them in a large flat rate box US Mail... Now for the sticker shock.... the cost for the taxidermist to ship the birds back to you can be quite high depending on the mount and size. All taxidermist will pass this cost back to the customer. So while you may send it cheap be prepared for the return of your mount with additional cost... For this be sure to ASK the taxidermist how much to crate/box/insure the specimens back to you as the customer...

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

not that much.......a pr ow wood ducks can be shipped for around 20 bucks...assuming there is no big driftwood......have been shipping birds all over the US,Alaska,Europe,Guam,for over 20 years and only had one damaged...and that was a pc of cracked glass on a disply case...but never any damage to a mount...just shipped a lifesize poky on a wood base from Mn to Fl for 32 bucks.....no real "sticker shock"

4. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Is this thru SpeeDee?

5. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Who’s that through? Those prices seem super low

6. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

I sent a pheasant down to Corpus Christie this fall and the cost was just over $100. Fab. crate inside of box to keep it from damange, filled with peanuts.. Bird was on a half a fence post.... The only cost I've ever seen for 20 was a US mail in a flat rate box.... Heck I can't even get material from McKinzie or HQ for under 30 and that's a small box... Speedee is the only exception of shipping cost...

7. Rich , I just looked at my last three McKenzie orders and all were under $30 for shipping with the lowest at $14. All Thru UPS.

Beretta12 , shipping to a taxidermist is relatively cheap. Return depends on size and how it’s shipped. Business to business is cheaper than business to a home. If you are out in the boonies it will be more than if you are in a town that is a hub. A few months back I shipped two boxes of the same size, one to Florida and one to Alabama. The one to Florida was cheaper but went farther.

8. byrdman

usps have been using them for 20 some years cost to ship 1 bird mount have gone fron 6-7 bucks up to 20-22 or so.........Im talking a mounted bird packed in peanuts or suspended in a wood frame inside a box......you could have sent your pheasant for about that and wrapped fence post separate for 20-25 depending on how heavy it was....if you have a larger bird that needs a bigger box you may get a "balloon" charge......shipping to taxidermists who will do their own painting and put on their driftwood its very cheap....have even send some flying geese with separate mounted wings that taxidermist just needed to bondo into hole in foam body....think outside the box....before you put your mount into the box......

9. jimss

jimss Member

Obviously the size and weight of the box makes a big difference in cost. You might consider what pose you are having done. Obviously a flying turkey mount will take a lot bigger box than a teal with closed wings. One word of advice for sending your frozen bird. Ship it on a Monday and line the box with wall insulation. I've only had 1 frozen turkey cape I've sent out not delivered on time. For some reason it got lost for a couple weeks and my postage insurance covered the shipping plus screwed up cape. I always get insurance and tracking on my packages to protect both me and the guy I'm sending it to. It may be possible for a taxidermist to make removable wings or tail feathers, etc to save on shipping. Good luck!

10. byrdman

better yet.....little known fact....ship on Saturday.......express runs on sun and bird will arrive first thing mon morn....you can have post office call and go pick it up or wait for them to deliver it .....sometimes when you ship on Monday it wont arrive til thurs.....