1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody else raising their fish prices in 2018?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It's been quite a while since I've raised my fish prices and frankly didn't think I had to. I'm not one that believes businesses should just automatically raise their prices every year as protocol. I think that's BS and one of the reasons we have inflation.

Anyway, with the increase in supplier costs and shipping, and finally not able to be adjust by becoming more efficient and buying as much supplies as I can locally (yes we all can increase efficiency) it's time.

I'm also hoping it will reduce my workload but I doubt it.

And no I'm not the cheapest in price around. Never have been.

2. Cecil, I think you have a good attitude towards this. I would think due to the economy doing very well that if anyone felt they needed a raise in prices this would be a good time to do it. Just my 2 cents as a taxidermy consumer.

Brian

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback Brian.

Here's wishing you a Happy New Year!

4. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I raised my prices last year for the same reasons and actually increased my workload. I'm also working on ways to reduce my costs. I really like your idea of picking up driftwood at the supply point. Not only saves some shipping but ensures better quality. Also using USPS as much as possible on other supplies , buying foam in larger quantities and using Denny's eyes.

5. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity what are people charging ... I agree on raising the cost and I did that... I would like to know what others are charging for a reconditioning of old mounts and repaint...??? Here around me I have found some that charge a flat rate fee of $100 (skin mount) and then $10 to $20 per inch.... as you can see there is a broad range...Those in the upper range do not do much work or so it appears.....

6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

I’m at 19 a inch and am by far the highest priced in the area. Even at 19 for the amount of time it takes me I’m not making much on fish. That’s why I do birds as well!
    I get told all the time “ your way to high my blue ribbon guy does them for 8 -10 a inch”. I like to believe ya get what you pay for with taxi work.
    As far a refurbish work I charge 13 a inch.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Rich,

You shouldn't determine your prices based on others -- especially those that that are not even in your area. And there are variables such as cost of living in your region, wages, and the quality of your work.

In my business college curriculum they said "charge what the market will bear." Contrary to what some will tell you there is a limit, but many of us undercharge and are't running our businesses like a business

You can be so low folks think there must be something wrong with your work. You can be on the other end of the spectrum and see at the most 20 pieces a year. If that's O.K. because you have another way to make a living or teach taxidermy more power to you. There are times I'd love to do this part-time and compete for fun again -- with no worries about the work I'm not getting done -- because of all the time I put into a competition mount.

I've fantasized about getting everything out of my freezer and hanging from the rafters before the summer rush, but It's never happened. Been doing it so long I don't even have to advertise.

O.K. back to your question: In my area a decent fish guy gets 13 to 19 an inch with a 150.00 minimum. It will be higher or lower depending on where you're at.

8. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

My prices go up every year just like everything else. I'm the only fish guy in the area so I get a lot of fish. Repair/restoration work I charge $65 hr. Joe

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just like everybody else? You're assuming.

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Raised it a dollar an inch

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Rich, I'm with Joe on resto work and repaints. To me it makes little sense to charge a per inch rate on resto work - an existing mount. I can have two 20 inch restores to do and one could take me 10 times as long to bring back to life! An hourly rate on resto work makes a lot more sense. Every job is different.

On my fish work I went up a buck an inch the middle of 2017. It works out that I raise my prices about every 2-3 years or so. The numbers designate when. The replica suppliers are actually a good gauge of where I need to be with my prices. They are very good at regular price increases. It's usually after I see the bill when ordering replicas when I decide I need to look at my prices again...

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You got that right!

13. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Thanks guys... I already charge $15 / inch with $150 minimum. I was at a sporting goods shop and the owner asked me about some fin repair on two bass and then repainting them.... I had no idea on the restoration so I kinda left them hanging and said I would get back to them later... I do try to talk them out of a skin mount and into a repo simply because of durability and cleaning... I was thinking of charging more for the skin mount though...??? Seems there more work for the skin mount and the mess. Just my opinion...

14. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

No, I said every thing, not every body.... shipping, fuel, forms and supplies, liability insurance, auto insurance, my portfolio and my real estate holdings... everything.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. My apologies.

16. den007

den007 Active Member

Thinking about it for both replica and skin mounts. Definately for shipping! Some may find this helpful. I was totally unaware of this and most of the folks who work in the local (as in podunk) post offices do not have a clue either. When I have to ship USPS with a larger box, I go basic ground with insurance. Really big boxes are cheaper UPS. At any rate, i took a boxed walleye replica to town and was given a rate for $37 to ship. Seemed high. Well, the postal lady explained her meter was down and had to spend 10 minutes on the computer calculating cost. Then, she could not print out a label since her machine was down, and opted for stamps. She did not have enough. So, I took the box 5 miles away to the next post office and shipped it for around $21. I talked to the postmaster general and got this response. I live right between 2 postal "districts" that have vastly different shipping rates! Know your location as far as these parameters go and it if you are just a short distance from the next postal unit, shop and compare. You could save plenty on larger packages.

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Probably would have been double that UPS!

How about that JL?! ;D

18. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I went up 10% this year
    I am in the some boat as Cecil, I do not go up every year
    Each year I find ways to work and buy smarter
    CL

19. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Rich, I'm surprised a few others haven't jumped on you here! I suspect they simply aren't visiting this site anymore - because they would have certainly replied to this statement - lol! IMO, whether replica or original skin mount both have their unique issues. I believe with original skin mounts a lot depends on how you are doing your skin mounts if you are having issues with your durability and ease of cleaning. Unless the humidity where you're at or other environmental factors play a part. I can assure you that many produce quality skin mounts that tackle both of these traditional issues with skin mounted fish. Personally, I do both and actually prefer replicas due to me being less stinky - lol. But, for commercial skin mounts, backing most or all of your fins with clear .020 mil plastic heated and formed to the fin vs silk span solves the durability issue. In fact, one could argue replicas are actually easier to damage in the sense that if you nick 'em, you're going down to the white. Versus a skin mount you usually hit gray and it may not even be noticeable. Cleaning, skin mounts can be just as easy to clean as replicas. Including walleyes. The environment it's going in and whether or not the customer has already kept the fish IMO are the two biggest things where I have input. Otherwise, I think it's a personal choice and let my customers decide. To me, it seems like a waste if a customer has already kept the fish and then decides on a purchased blank/replica. I usually steer them into continuing with a skin mount if they're already kept the fish or a custom mold. Again, JMO...

20. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Marty for president!! ( If that degrades into politics, I apologize.) [​IMG]