1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help making an escape-proof lid for beetle tank

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Taiga72, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Taiga72

Taiga72 Member

I finally got a tank and have someone on hold to send me beetles. The only thing is my tank doesn't have a lid. What can I build to make a sturdy lid?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Use the Advanced Search on here and read through the posts on dermestid enclosures. Try beetle enclosure, beetle tank, bug tank, dermestid tutorial ... and so forth. Lots of info on here as to what others have done. Your enclosure has to be properly heated and the humidity controlled to have them live well.

3. midnightblue69

midnightblue69 New Member

I've been lamenting that a lot of the old searches really aren't that helpful with the defunct picture hosting.

Tiaga a retired deep freezer is by far the most popular tank, it comes with a lid but needs opening for ventilation which can be covered with a variety of filters or screening. Back when I used every manner of tub, tank and enclosure but the deep freeze is hard to beat. You can get a compact one if size is an issue.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Make your lid out of plexiglass.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I do agree with that. Fortunately, most of those posters are still active. Some are still unaware that Photobucket damaged their posts and is no longer functioning. A simple email or a PM sent to them, asking them to fix the pictures could work wonders. I have done the same and have had users ask me to fix posts too. If nothing else, if those original pictures are gone from their hard drives, you can download all the pictures you have on PB into a folder and rehost the whole lot on a different free site. I ended up doing that and used postimage.org

You only stated that you have a "tank". Pictures of what you have will help a lot or at least a good description of what you are planning to use.

6. Rob

Rob Member

I built a wood frame to go around the lid, then attached window screen for the top. Works good for me.