1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzie acid and Tan?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by skinner26, Dec 31, 2017.

1. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

I have used formic acid and Liquid Tan for years then this season I went to McKenzie Acid and tan and seem to be getting hair slippage more. Anyone else seen this? I have seen this on 4 deer now.

Attached Files:

2. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

I just mounted two with McKenzie acid and tan ( ran out of Trubond) and had no issues with slippage. I used the liqua tan once and for me, it was to stiff of a tan. To me, McKenzie tan is between Liqua tan and TruBond being far closer to liqua tan than trubond.Everybody has their brand but I've never had slippage with any of the brush ons

RobS likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Skinner, that's really not "slippage". That's hair pulling out and a pretty good sign that the hide was one of 3 things: 1)not fleshed or shaved thin enough, 2) taken out of the pickle too soon, or 3) the pickle wasn't strong enough. When a hide slips, the entire epidermal layer along with the hair sloughs off leaving a baby butt soft leather underneath.

4. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

ok thanks George I believe it was my PH. I seem to have got it under control now.

5. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Formic or Citric