1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Customer taking item without paying in full

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joe511s, Dec 31, 2017.

1. joe511s

joe511s Member

Im a dumb azz, 3 times in 7 years I have done that and been screwed all three times. Question I have is, customer is bringing it back to me so I can "fix it". Wasnt happy with the bear rug. I will repaint the mouth, but I'm sure when he comes back to pick it up he will not want to pay the remaining balance. So how do I keep him from leaving my shop with the rug without being paid in full? He is a rich guy that owns a jewelry store and wants museum grade work at commercial prices.

2. grumpa

grumpa Member

Would he leave a diamond out the door without the customer paying?????????????

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Don't fricken touch it again, until he pays for what you already agrred upon and then tell him how much it will cost to fix/change something and don't let it leave until paid in full.

woakley144 likes this.
  4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    seriously ?

what do the stores you shop at do to keep you from leaving before you pay for the items ?

1. no work gets started until he pays what he already owes.

2. he doesnt get the "fixed" rug until he pays for it.

3. get the rug first, then inform him of the above.

unless you do not have a signed contract or even a receipt that shows what he paid and what he owes.

Bill Dishman likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Try taking something out of WalMart or Target without paying in full...it ain't happening. I've shot myself in the foot a few times in years past...never again. Customers can pay with cash, check, or credit card, but it's not leaving my possession unless full payment is made.

6. joe511s

joe511s Member

Yes, I have a signed contract. I also talked to a friend who is a county deputy here, my plan was to block my driveway with my truck and call the cops, but he said that would be wrongful imprisonment. I have a short temper and don't want to go to jail over a few hundred bucks. Tug of war with the bear if he tries to leave? Give him his money back, keep the bear and sale it? (he wont do that, his sons 1st bear). When and if he brings it back, should be in 3 days, I will post pics of the bear rug. Its not competition work, but I have done many many rugs with no complaints. 600 bucks is pretty damn cheap for open mouth and 3 layers of felt

7. $600 for a rug?????. I charge $200 per foot plus $150 for open mouth and get it all day long. Up your prices and you will get better customers too.

Doubled-d65 likes this.
  8. joe511s

joe511s Member

Or I could take my headshell out, eyes out, and all the felt off. The money he already gave me would cover the 34 per linear ft for tanning...But we would both be losers then I guess

9. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Don't let a SOB run your business! You charge what you need to make a living if they don't like it the hell with em you don't need them anyways. I got burned years ago over 50.00 balance never again. Most would charge around the same for a rug as a Life size mount .
    Tommy

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Something doesn't add up here, how good or bad is this rug? Do you feel guilty or something? You seem to be trying to justify him not paying you. You asked for advice but don't seem to be willing to take it when it is given to you. Charge whatever you believe your work is worth, matters not to me but, make damn sure that collect that amount before anything leaves your shop. Until taxidermists demand to be treated as a legitimate business, and conduct themselves as one, people will continue to pull that crap.

juli, woakley144 and Kathy like this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

First, you should not have let it out without balance due. Just say no.

Second, you should not have let it back into your shop without balance due paid first.

Third, never do work for him again and if you do, then get paid in full up front before you take it in.

I can't tell you how many times I have had a guy begging me to take his deer home to show relatives before balance is paid and promise to bring it back. I can't tell you how many times I had to forcefully say NO! Bring your friends or family hear to show them. Just say no and mean it.

woakley144 likes this.
  12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I first stated doing my business I called a customer and told him his deer was ready. He said it's about time! You told me 6 months and we are now 2 weeks into the 7th month!
    I apologized and he said he'd be right over. When I told him the balance due, he said he didn't have it. I said no deer until balance due is paid.

He said he should not have to pay it because I was late. I said no money no deer. He said I'm taking my deer. I walked to the phone, called the police and told them there was a burglary in progress to send someone right away and hung up.

He said hey, no need for this. I said if you leave now, I will tell them I surprised the burglar and he ran off or you can stay and explain. Your choice.

Next day, he come over and threw a bunch of cash on my floor and grabbed his deer head. I said wait until I count it and give you a receipt.

Beerk and byrdman like this.
  13. ???

14. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    I would refer him to a competitor that I don't like. Write off the loss as a learning experience and let him be someone else's head ache.

15. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

WOW

16. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

after this dealing with him tell him you will not accept work from him in the future. if he is dumb enough to ask why tell him the truth.

17. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    better yet, if he doesnt pay, go to his jewelry store and do the same thing to him. pay half, walk out and do not pay the rest.

18. Fix it and make him pay the balance . or keep it

19. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I actually thought this was a joke post. Thatd be the day a customer told me how I was going to run my business. Thatd also be the day I did a bear rug for 600 bucks!

Doubled-d65 and Kathy like this.
  20. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I get $600 for a life size grey squirrel.......!
    Bear rug is $250 per foot.